Are people with disabilities normal?

If it was just a regular member of the public who made such a mistake it would be bad but forgiveable.

Problem is that IDS is responsible for benefits/support for millions of disabled people. His government are working hard to minimise the spend on them and is fond of vilifying sections of society to acheive what it wants. I can accept he may have made an innocent error (because he's thick) but it was a pretty unfortunate slip-up. Nobody should be working too hard to stick up for him.

What mistake did he make?

If it was just a regular member of the public who made such a mistake it would be bad but forgiveable.

Problem is that IDS is responsible for benefits/support for millions of disabled people. His government are working hard to minimise the spend on them and is fond of vilifying sections of society to acheive what it wants. I can accept he may have made an innocent error (because he's thick) but it was a pretty unfortunate slip-up. Nobody should be working too hard to stick up for him.

That's a reasonable thing to say under normal circumstances but this isn't normal circumstances because there is a group of people who are otherwise normal but when it comes to IDS they throw their normal behaviour out of the window and invent reasons that aren't normal because they don't fly in the face of what is normal when normal common sense and normal ways of behaving are used.

It's not normal.

More people are surviving disableing illnesses for longer, and disblements which used to be fatal are now survivable with medical care and appropriate help. This all costs money, and it doesn't mean they will ever be fit enough to work.

It always makes me smile when I hear that such and such a treatment will prolong life or read articles that tell me how I can live longer. Then hear people complain about paying extra because of it.

What mistake did he make?

Believing that he was a fit person to take public office.

As he has demonstrated on numerous occasions. This just being the latest.

There's no such thing as normal. Perhaps its abnormal to think there's such thing as normal. Normal is only according to that one person... In their own internal world.

One mans normality is another mans abnormality and vice versa. Also just because its defined in a dictionary doesn't mean to say its true. A dictionary is a bit "rule booky" and way too normal for me.

Today I think I'll pretend to be normal! I think not. :P

I'm disabled myself the infamous ESA is not fit for purpose full stop. Too many on this forum take delight in watching others suffer what does that say about our society?

If you can use a computer you can work but there probably aren't enough opportunities to do so yet. Give it time and employers will catch up with technology and you'll be able to earn a fulfilling living.