Performance related pay

Michael Gove wanted performance related pay for teachers. I think that is almost imposible, and good performance most likely get rewarded by promotions that are small and come with extra pay.

But yet my traffic warden friend always tells me that they do not get performance related pay.

The role of traffic warden would seem like an ideal role to pay by results.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-34172701

Not sure about the story in the BBC story; but surely many more jobs would be suitable for performance related pay.

I drive a council minibus, and get zero bonuses, as it seems do most council workers.

It worked for the bankers, but the bosses just need to keep an eye on fiddling.

Michael Gove wanted performance related pay for teachers. I think that is almost imposible, and good performance most likely get rewarded by promotions that are small and come with extra pay.

But yet my traffic warden friend always tells me that they do not get performance related pay.

The role of traffic warden would seem like an ideal role to pay by results.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-34172701

Not sure about the story in the BBC story; but surely many more jobs would be suitable for performance related pay.

I drive a council minibus, and get zero bonuses, as it seems do most council workers.

It worked for the bankers, but the bosses just need to keep an eye on fiddling.

Traffic warderns can't get official performance related pay because the council isn't meant to use fines as a way of boosting council budgets.

If wardens got performance related pay it would temp them to stray from the rules and ticket unfairly.

We all know this is rubbish, and some wardens love to ticket - but it's not meant to happen.

---------- Post added 09-09-2015 at 14:50 ----------

All the teachers I know slog their guts out at work, if anything they need double the pay they are getting (or double the teachers at the school).

I know a couple who have left the profession - one now works in a bar!

I hear teaching is not what it was, lot's of unfair targets and long hours.

I know a couple who have left the profession - one now works in a bar!

I hear teaching is not what it was, lot's of unfair targets and long hours.

I've noticed it as well, they love the job and working with the kids but they can't handle the enormous amount of paperwork that comes with it, so inevitably the good, enthusiastic teachers leave the profession.

I'd have said performance related pay for traffic wardens is a bad idea.

How are you going to manage it? Number of tickets issued? How free flowing the traffic is?

You'd just end up with, in Wakefield at least traffic wardens lurking round the usual spots where out of town people get caught out, like the railway stations and the roads round the prison. Meanwhile other places that need attention, like the top end of town are going to suffer as there's only a few places to park so no warden is going to schlep up there in the off chance...

Same with teachers - I can't think of an appropriate metric that isn't going to be skewed by a large influx of kids who may be below average one year, and then a large number that are above the next year, it's just unworkable.

Perf. pay for headteachers though, with regard to running a school rather than teaching, I think could work.

I'd have said performance related pay for traffic wardens is a bad idea.
It's a conflict of interest in the making if ever I saw one.

They'll just ticket as fast as they can for a yes or a no, heaviest towards month end, and let the appeals people handle the resulting overflow.

I suppose that if and when the appeals people themselves get put on PRP (with the incentive aimed at rejecting appeals of course), then that will be the death of town and city centres altogether.

Agreed re. your comment about teachers and head teachers.

Though there might be some room for a bit of teacher PRP, if a reliable metric could be devised, that effectively measures the effect of a teacher's methods/efforts/pedagogy relative to annual KSI. I'd expect that metric to take into account at least e.g. 3 years' worth of activity, for a reasonable statistical corpus.

I'm aiming here at singling out those (few, I expect) teachers who really do have a positive influence on their charges year-in, year-out, regardless of input class 'quality'.

The public has a vested interest in rewarding them to help keep them (then again, and this is idealism speaking, such teachers are probably those truly following a vocational path, who are least bothered about a PRP/bonus).

Edited by L00b

It would be easy to introduce performance related pay for traffic wardens whilst still being fair to motorists.

Judge their performance on how few illegally parked cars there are on their patch and have someone going round, with times and places unknown to the wardens, checking up how well they are doing.