Everyday sexism or harmless fun?

TJC1

Lots of people meet through work, but you don't normally start that relationship by walking up to a stranger and commenting on their physical appearance.

---------- Post added 10-09-2015 at 16:00 ----------

In a business context. No, because I'm not a creep.

he didn't comment on her physical appearance. He didnt say 'wow you have great eyes' or 'you are one smokin hot momma'.

a sincere compliment isnt creepy.

Lots of people meet through work, but you don't normally start that relationship by walking up to a stranger and commenting on their physical appearance..

If you dont know them then commenting on their looks is a good first step. When you find out they have loads of quals then you can tell them how clever they are but until you know a bit about them their looks is all most of us have to go on.

it was quite ambiguous - was he commenting on the quality of the photograph or how hot she was (in his opinion)?

---------- Post added 10-09-2015 at 16:13 ----------

...it is a professional looking photo....when all said and done.

Lots of people meet through work, but you don't normally start that relationship by walking up to a stranger and commenting on their physical appearance.

---------- Post added 10-09-2015 at 16:00 ----------

In a business context. No, because I'm not a creep.

My wife and I met at work..we both started on the same day..I complemented her on her hair..does that make me a creep? we've been married for 35 years..she didn't drag my name through the papers..

Originally Posted by Cyclone

Are you in an office environment?

Try going up to a female employee that you don't know and tell her how she looks good.

my office girls sometimes compliment me and others on shirts or haircut and we do the same , shoes , outfits, hair , new make up etc and no offence is ever taken and we all get on very well....strange office you work in:roll:

A few weeks ago a female colleague, who I'd not seen for a couple of months, complemented me on a recently grown beard, and said it suited me. I wasn't in the least bit offended. On the contrary it gave me a little boost.

I can safely say she wasn't coming on to me - I'm not exactly an Adonis, (the six pack is well hidden by the party seven) and am probably old enough to be her grandfather, let alone her father.

It was a little interchange, that helps to make the office environment a more pleasant place to work. Nothing more, nothing less.

Commenting on her picture is immediately inappropriate, you wouldn't do it to someones face, particularly not a stranger, and that's exactly the same thing.

I'd argue that her actions were far more inappropriate than his.

He paid a lady a compliment.

She publicly named and shamed a man as some sort of sexist perv for paying her a nice compliment.

Well done love, you've made yourself look like a very, very silly woman. It's the likes of her that give the rest of us a bad name.

She published the correspondence. I don't see how that can be considered inappropriate.

I don't think she's given anybody a bad name, it's the likes of him that give elderly creeps a bad name. And women defending him, they give women a bad name.

---------- Post added 10-09-2015 at 17:08 ----------

A few weeks ago a female colleague, who I'd not seen for a couple of months, complemented me on a recently grown beard, and said it suited me. I wasn't in the least bit offended. On the contrary it gave me a little boost.

I can safely say she wasn't coming on to me - I'm not exactly an Adonis, (the six pack is well hidden by the party seven) and am probably old enough to be her grandfather, let alone her father.

It was a little interchange, that helps to make the office environment a more pleasant place to work. Nothing more, nothing less.

So that was someone you already knew. Not a strangers first contact with you.

Quite a different scenario really.

he didn't comment on her physical appearance. He didnt say 'wow you have great eyes' or 'you are one smokin hot momma'.

a sincere compliment isnt creepy.

Sure, I bet he compliments loads of men in exactly the same way!

Why don't you start up a sexist right wing area, I can avoid it, and you and your fellow posters can revel in extra-judicial executions and misogyny. You can probably also talk about how the city centre is a no go zone, and how all the homeless are just liars out there for your money.