Blitz Cities. But not Sheffield.

Thanks for the link, anyone seen that image of two up-ended buses on the Wicker? pretty startling.

There is a TV documentary made by BBC Yorkshire, The Sheffield Blitz, so they did cover it

http://www.terry-deary.com/pg/television-and-movies

Sheffield : The Forgotten Blitz ... a 30 minute programme to commemorate the bombing of Sheffield 70 years ago in December 1940. The programme will accompany Terry's book, "Put out the Light" The programme brodcast on 15 December 2010 at 7:30 p.m. on BBC Yorkshire and Humberside.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/campaigns/video-help-the-star-s-campaign-to-create-lasting-tribute-to-the-sheffield-blitz-1-7323952

There has also apparently been a crowd funder to honour the victims, etc, sadly only 14 backers!.

I'm from merseyside, my mum had to run from the bombs nearly day for months.

bit of amnesia here in Sheffield about these dark events, my neighbour has a map of where all the bombs fell, many of them across the city.

Edited by gamezone07

• 3 weeks later...

A short time before the blitz, I was outside our house in Tinsley, 9 year old and crazy about airplanes, when an aircraft came over us so low that the pilot waved to us as he went over. My mother said that was a hospital plane,because it had a cross on the side of it I said to her it was a Heinkel 111 and it was checking out the works. As a direct result we were hit by a bomb on Greaseborough Road while we were in the house. We were trapped for a while by debris but all got out alive. What a hell of a Christmas present!

Edited by buck

A short time before the blitz, I was outside our house in Tinsley, 9 year old and crazy about airplanes, when an aircraft came over us so low that the pilot waved to us as he went over. My mother said that was a hospital plane,because it had a cross on the side of it I said to her it was a Heinkel 111 and it was checking out the works. As a direct result we were hit by a bomb on Greaseborough Road while we were in the house. We were trapped for a while by debris but all got out alive. What a hell of a Christmas present!

Hospital plane not heard of them before! Sounds like a lucky escape out of it.

I was talking with my Scouts last week they were reading some books that talked about cities with bomb sites still in them that hadn't been regenerated yet... they had no real idea of what actually happened. Theres so much "common knowledge" that has been lost.

There was a piece in the 'Sheffield Star' the other week. A Sheffield businessman is trying to get a 'Sheffield Blitz trail' up and running by the 70th anniversary in December 2015.

He wants to commemorate events in the blitz by commissioning brass plaques in all the locations that have a story to tell, along with listening posts: hand held devices telling the story, the voices of some of the survivors telling their eye witness accounts, pictures, guides, a book, etc. Lots of interesting things.

I think it sounds a terrific idea, but he needs contributions. In return you get the name of a loved one lost inscribed on a plynth I believe, or something like that.

Sorry I can't remember his name, or where to join the scheme, but I'm sure if people were interested in helping they could phone or email the Sheffield Star for details.

I think it's an important part of our city's history and should be remembered, long after those that were involved are gone, so please get involved..

Hospital plane not heard of them before! Sounds like a lucky escape out of it.

I was talking with my Scouts last week they were reading some books that talked about cities with bomb sites still in them that hadn't been regenerated yet... they had no real idea of what actually happened. Theres so much "common knowledge" that has been lost.

You wouldn't have heard about them because they don't exist, but my mother, bless her heart wouldn't have known a Heinkel from a Wright biplane. It had a cross on it, that's all she needed till I told her. The plane had a rear gun and a gunner, but they made no effort to shoot at us, for which I thank them. We could have run to find a phone somewhere to tell the RAF, but didn't know anyone who had one in that neighborhood, or even how to use one. By the time they had raised half the RAF in Lincs it would have been back in France. Most of Greasborough Road was damaged by the bomb that destroyed our house. It was a sea mine dropped on a parachute on the tip behind us with tremendous blast. That road went under the M1 motorway when it came into Sheffield. We moved into another house on Plumper's Road, but the Germans dropped another bomb later which just destroyed a water main and left the coal cellar flooded. Finally we moved to Abbeydale, which was a bit more upscale and away from the steel mills. Edited by buck