17 year old who WANTS to work

have u not thought to getting him setting a little business up?

Thats what i did as part time (before getting my qualifications) i started when i was fifteen just getting a little bit of work at a time and building it up as a part time job, i now 22 and i employ 6 members of staff for part time work and 3 members of staff full time and my self 6 days a week now i maybe having a member of staff leaving for another job, so i will certainly give your son a interview if he is interested in a job,

its bits of ground work, taking away logs and stacking them, also occasional tree jobs aka brashing up and general labouring, also Garden maintenance and landscaping but i expect a exceptional standards for my customers i also am taking on some tender work with consists of ride on lawn mower work.

Now its not all that exciting but i can offer your son a interview next week, if you can get him to email me via morthill.gardenservices@googlemail.com

and send me his cv too or a little cover letter that be smashing.

Thanks.

Luke at Morthill garden services.

What is up with employers in Sheffield? My son has applied constantly for every job on the internet he can find to be constantly knocked back, mainly because he is still only 17. He is studying plumbing and gas fitting at college and originally wanted an apprenticeship, but still cannot get one. He is a lovely well-grounded lad who just needs a first step on the ladder of employment. As a single mum with 2 kids I can't always get him what he wants and college only pay him his bus fares. He went to Futures the other day and a lady from Sheffield City Council took his name etc and asked him to send a CV through and she would contact him for an interview. He is STILL waiting to hear from her. It makes me extremely angry that he cant get work, unlike some who just want to sit on their bums all day playing on their Xbox. Would someone out there please please give him a chance to work. And don't tell him to try agencies etc, because they are just as bad with the 17 year old issue. Rant over............. :rant:

I know these guys regularly take on apprentices.

http://www.bigboilershop.co.uk

Its a shame galaxy girl hasn't had the courtesy to pop back and post again. She has been on the forum (logged in) 23rd September. I was about to tell her Industrial Personnel have just tweeted they are looking for temporary part time order pickers on the run up to Christmas. It would be a good way to gain a reference and job experience.

What is up with employers in Sheffield? My son has applied constantly for every job on the internet he can find to be constantly knocked back, mainly because he is still only 17. He is studying plumbing and gas fitting at college and originally wanted an apprenticeship, but still cannot get one. He is a lovely well-grounded lad who just needs a first step on the ladder of employment. As a single mum with 2 kids I can't always get him what he wants and college only pay him his bus fares. He went to Futures the other day and a lady from Sheffield City Council took his name etc and asked him to send a CV through and she would contact him for an interview. He is STILL waiting to hear from her. It makes me extremely angry that he cant get work, unlike some who just want to sit on their bums all day playing on their Xbox. Would someone out there please please give him a chance to work. And don't tell him to try agencies etc, because they are just as bad with the 17 year old issue. Rant over............. :rant:

Meadowhall have lots of Christmas temp jobs going. Have a look on the meadowhall website.

Is Galaxy girl complaining he cannot find any job or a plumbing job?

The problem with apprentices is that at first they cost a lot more than they are paid. If that is not bad enouth they soon quit leaving the person who gave them a chance out of pocket. I have trained a few over the years but recently lost faith in youth. They start work at 18 wanting £150 at least and in retirn earn zilch! Until there are grants that pay from day 1 and not 13 full weeks at a time like the CITB offers then I cannot see an easy answer.

As for any job then unless it is casual I cannot see any employer falling over themselves to employ a 17 year old or any age. Employers want people who pursue that job because that is the job they want not need. As for no experience then work for free,it is called volunteering. You might get expenses paid but you will get your foot on the ladder. I certainly would volunteer as opposed to sitting in the house all day.

Good luck to the lad but rember,there is no such thing as a free lunch!