Missing signing on JSA because of not being informed

I was sick for less than a week. The day I was sick I was due to sign on. I did inform the JSA department that I was sick. They then sent me a JSA28 for me to fill in and told me an address to send it back to. I did and I have sent it to a place in Wolverhamton which is where the mail is handled. Now I am waiting to be informed by the JSA department the day and time I should sign on next. If I return to the jobcentre in a few weeks time asking when I should sign on and they say you should have signed on last week and if I was not informed of that fact What will happen to my JSA? Will it be closed? Can I get the past couple of weeks worth of money? SURELY IT IS A GOOD ENOUGH EXCUSE THAT I was not told the date and time to sign on next so it would be unreasonable to expect me be at the jobcentre to sign on WHEN I DID NOT KNOW when I should. What about if the jobcentre had sent me a letter to informing me the date and time I was next to sign on but the letter just did not get to the my address. Is that not a reasonable reason that I just did not know the signing on day and time.

I assume Wolverhampton did not receive your form and you see that as unfair. If you do not receive a letter from the JS you are punished but if they do not receive a letter you are again punished.

There is something you could have done. When you sent the letter you could have obtained a receipt from a post office as proof and this would have been enough to back up your claim you sent the forms in ample time.

I know its of no consequence to the matter now, but in future its something to maybe consider.

The whole story is bit personal as well . I wouldn't have thought there was that much physical effort involved in signing on, so was just curious what illness prevented the person from doing so .

Why? He/She was sick, the JobCentre have been told this and accept it. Why on earth would it matter to you what sickness he/she had unless you wanted to make some dig at them?

OP, can you not simply ring the JobCentre and ask them? Or if you are passing in town just pop in? Or even make a special trip if it means you get some money to live off? Surely that's better than just waiting to be sanctioned?

Edited by sgtkate
Spelling

You get a reciept from the post office when you send the letter as proof it's been sent, and/or you send it recorded delivery to proove it was received.

If you don't hear anything then make several attempts to contact the job centre, record the conversation if you need to - most smartphones will have an app that can handle that.

Don't just sit on your arse, and then complain you've been sanctioned for sitting on your arse!

Why? He/She was sick, the JobCentre have been told this and accept it. Why on earth would it matter to you what sickness he/she had unless you wanted to make some dig at them?

Why not let the OP decide whether he/she wants to tell me why they were too sick to sign on ? Why would I want to have a dig at anyone who was too ill to sign on ?

---------- Post added 11-09-2015 at 17:55 ----------

OP, can you not simply ring the JobCentre and ask them? Or if you are passing in town just pop in? Or even make a special trip if it means you get some money to live off? Surely that's better than just waiting to be sanctioned?

Steady on, that sounds a bit like hard work and the OP has only just recovered from being ill .

---------- Post added 11-09-2015 at 17:59 ----------

Don't just sit on your arse, and then complain you've been sanctioned for sitting on your arse!

Steady on, the OP has only just recovered from being ill .

Edited by Gamston
typo error

If you're sick and the job centre accept that, they don't sign you off (unless it's likely to be longer than 6 weeks or something) - so just continue to sign on what would have been your next sign day....

at very least, they can chat to you and sort out the query you have...