Is travelling to work actually work?

Briefly read somewhere the other the day regarding our European friends that travelling to and from jobs is classed as work. For example, a gas fitter going from one job to another is classed as work.

What do others think?

Only scanned it very quickly but here's a link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34210002

Personally I think it depends on the job. If your a paramedic then that for me is certainly part of the job. A self employed electrician would have to see it as a job I should imagine. However, someone who's employed as a plumber - I'm not so sure.

I start work when i leave the house to go to my first customer and finish work when i get home. I'm available to take calls and speak to customers so that's how i classify it.

I often do work before 6.30-7.30a.m and after this from home(whenever Corrie is on)but i always do those as reparation for 3 hour lunch breaks.

I think it depends on the circumstances.

For example, I have a colleague who recently moved house about an hour's drive away from the office. Therefore, that adds an extra 2hrs to his time away from home per day, (and now he has small children) but you can't blame the office or expect him to work shorter hours than anyone else, as that was his choice.

On the other hand, I have another colleague who has a meeting near Haslemere today. That is at least 4hrs drive each way, so she will have done an 8-hour day before she's even started, plus however long the meeting lasts. Now I think that her journey should be counted as 'work time' because she is being sent somewhere 4hrs further away than she usually works.