Subbuteo - does anyone still play it?

desy

My lads sorted some old stuff out of the loft and found there old subbuteo players. Thought does anyone on the forum play it.

I used to play it years ago.I loved it.Only had the basic set but my mate had the world cup edition with stands,score board,tv stand ,floodlights the lot.

The shop in Hillsborough used to have a glass display cabinet with spare players in.Can't remember it's name.

I crippled many a good player with my knees.They were never the same once they were glued back.

I remember Sheffield Wednesday beating Brazil one Sunday morning in Fox Hill.

Sorry for going on but what a game.Kids of today and all that.

Subbuteo...a fantastic game...slowly but surely suffocated by computer games.

Subutteo was the greastest until that pro-soccer thing came out with the metallic spring system and the magnet ball.

I think its due a comeback.

I loved it too. Had the soccer and the cricket versions. Never had the rugby though, even though I played rugby and am a fanatical rugby league fan.

Apparently there were Subutteo Speedway, Hockey, and even Angling games at some points in history. There was also a snooker game I remember being advertised.

I loved it too. Had the soccer and the cricket versions. Never had the rugby though, even though I played rugby and am a fanatical rugby league fan.

Apparently there were Subutteo Speedway, Hockey, and even Angling games at some points in history. There was also a snooker game I remember being advertised.

I think we need to start a campaign for it's return.I visit other message boards and i will do my bit.Out with Championship Manager and computer wizzardry and lets get back to the real football game.

Read this thread with some interest as I've just returned from playing in the Amsterdam Open!! As you may have gathered, Subbuteo is alive and well and is particularly doing well in Yorkshire. The Yorkshire Phoenix Club has a regular league and the Club is a regular competitor at tournaments across Europe. My son played for England in the World Cup last year and will do so again in June 2006 in Dortmund. My son and I currently play for the East Midlands Alliance based in Nottingham but in the close season we are signing for German Club VFL Kamen. Most successful nations are Italy and Belgium with England in the chasing pack. Louise Lawrenson from Leeds is the English ladies Champion and was featured on Richard and Judy after last year's World Cup (held in Tournoi, Belgium). Matt Lishman is also based in Yorkshire and is a strong contender in the under 15 section this year. If anyone is interested in any aspect of the game please feel free to contact me via this message board and I will be happy to answer your questions.

Simon Bryan

I think, as it would be late 50's, I used to buy my players at Bird's, a sports' shop on Leopold Street, opposite the rear door of the old Grand Hotel. It's possible that Darlow's on West St., stocked them also. I also bought my 'cumulative' cricket scoring books 3/6d from Bird's, which I used, to play that cricket game of two hexagonal rollers, "Owz That".

There was also another table soccer game played with rods that had a magnet in the end and were attracted to magnets in the bases of the players, separated by a veneer of vinyl, the pitch. Can't remember the name but Subbuteo had no peers.

Archived