Car electrics question

Timeh

Just a quickie.

Im routing my car cams to my fuse box in the car. Currently they are plugged into the back of the cig lighter sockets (front and back) but i dont like this and want something a bit tidier hence the fuse box solution.

The question is, which is the best fuse to piggie back off? Ive got the kit which is a step down converter and a blade fuse adder and its all been routed to the fuse box.

I have a few empty fuse slots (items from a different model in the range or options that werent chosen at the factory?) and before i try to piggie back of a fuse thats been used i was wondering if i could just use and empty slot?

I realise i could just plug it in and try but i dont want to risk ballsing anything up.

So the quick version of this ever expanding post is Can i use an empty fuse slot in my car to power the cameras in my car?

Edit. Jeez i made that hard work didnt i lol

Best fuse would probably be the cig lighter one. So you don't overload the circuit, disconnect the wiring to the cig lighter.

Other than that maybe look for accessories that might not be fitted to your car, but have the slots in the fuse box.

Thanks mate but its fine. Its been running a few days with no issues and as the autobox isnt fitted to my car i should be ok regarding the possible overloading of the circuit

Plus i use my cig lighter so i wouldnt really want to disconnect it

Thanks though mate :)

Why not run a fused supply direct to the battery, much like you'd do for the 12v supply for towing electrics.

ah that takes me back to the 80's when we fitted radio cassette players to our (cherished) bangers using in-line fuses gaffer taped to the bulkhead or somewhere