Rochdale Bus Accident investigation

"currently not a disciplinary matter."

The driver of a bus in which 17 people were injured when it went under a bridge and ripped off the roof, has been "relieved of her duties".

I find this difficult to believe, perhaps she is the bosses daughter. I understand the Tories downscaled the HSE inspectors. An accident injuring 17 people, should be dealt with on the same day; go out and take photos of the signs warning of a low bridge, look at the route plan and type of bus on the plan.

A double-decker bus crashed into a railway bridge in Rochdale. One man in his 20s suffered a broken jaw and a woman was taken to hospital with serious facial injuries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-34198572

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-34232839

Thanks for that.

Not sure where it says that an investigation wasn't initiated by police on arrival. Would have thought that would be standard procedure as indicated by 'Police tape'.

She has been relieved of her duties..she can't yet be 'disciplined' until the result of the investigation has been carried out and forthcoming.

The bus was not on the correct route (obviously)

I think an internal company investigation is less important then a police one into dangerous or careless driving.

I was just surprised that the bus company wasnt having its own investigation. In the light of the bin wagon crash in Scotland you would think that these things would be tightened up.

The driver is responsible, even if someone issued him/her with the wrong type of bus.

There is even a photo in the article of the bridge, showing sign warning of its low height.

Drivers should be well paid, because they carry the responsibility.

I was just surprised that the bus company wasnt having its own investigation. In the light of the bin wagon crash in Scotland you would think that these things would be tightened up.

The driver is responsible, even if someone issued him/her with the wrong type of bus.

There is even a photo in the article of the bridge, showing sign warning of its low height.

Drivers should be well paid, because they carry the responsibility.

That's the point of a thorough investigation. It could be that she did see the sign, could be that she attempted to stop, could be that the brakes failed. The driver is only responsible only if she is responsible, which has yet to be ascertained.

Not necessarily, not if the bus was poorly maintained and sent out as such...lots of 'if, buts and whys'.

If there was a mechanical problem with the bus that prevented it from stopping then thats fair enough, but there's a problem with that argument.

What you're saying is the brakes failed at that exact moment, with no prior warning (possible but unlikely)

If there was a problem with the brakes that developed over time then thats a much greater issue, because it shouldn't have been on the road and it certainly shouldn't have been full of people.

but it does nothing to explain why the bus was on that particular road in the first place???

Not necessarily, not if the bus was poorly maintained and sent out as such...lots of 'if, buts and whys'.

Every public service driver has a duty to make daily checks on their vehicle, I would think it says similar in the highway code, every driver has a responsibility to do checks.