One Million Council Houses per year.

Should we build 1 million council homes per year to house people well?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should we build 1 million council homes per year to house people well?

• Yes, we should build more than a million.
    • A million homes a year is about right.
    • We should build, but not a million per year.
    • We shouldn't build, I'm alright, so screw everyone else who is in need.

When was the peak of social house building?

Off the top of my head, the 1960s I think it might have been 1968 when ~ 500 000 house were built in the UK in one year, when we had a much smaller population.

Some of the pre fab homes took just 40 house to assemble.

Unemployment in the UK is thus proportional to the potential level of prefab assembly.

Unemployment in the UK is currently running at a rate of 100 million prefabs per year.

And I am only counting the unemployed registered unemployed.

By rights, if we employed the unemployed to build prefabs - in one year, every citizen could have 2 homes each.

It's true of nothing else.

Since 2011 people have had the right to tender for the running of Council Services and facilities.

Strangely not much has changed, because councils run better services themselves. I drive a council minibus, but only because I do it better and cheaper than private companies.

Edited by El Cid

Since 2011 people have had the right to tender for the running of Council Services and facilities.

Strangely not much has changed, because councils run better services themselves. I drive a council minibus, but only because I do it better and cheaper than private companies.

If it's cheaper to run a council mini bus then why do they give tenders out to private companies for school runs etc? Genuine question..

Edited by truman

If it's cheaper to run a council mini bus then why do they give tenders out to private companies for school runs etc? Genuine question..

I believe that overall, there are more private than council employed. I am sure we give a better service, we give a service that the council wants(just got a brand new Samsung Galaxy mini mobile), but private buses paying minimum wage can match our cost. I have no facts n figures.

My bus cost £77k, and its only a VW Crafter, but well fitted out. The private buses do have some new ones, but they are generally much older than council buses.

I believe that overall, there are more private than council employed. I am sure we give a better service, we give a service that the council wants(just got a brand new Samsung Galaxy mini mobile), but private buses paying minimum wage can match our cost. I have no facts n figures.

My bus cost £77k, and its only a VW Crafter, but well fitted out. The private buses do have some new ones, but they are generally much older than council buses.

That doesn't explain why,if the council is cheaper and better as you said,so many transport contracts are offered..

Off the top of my head, the 1960s I think it might have been 1968 when ~ 500 000 house were built in the UK in one year, when we had a much smaller population.

Some of the pre fab homes took just 40 house to assemble.

Unemployment in the UK is thus proportional to the potential level of prefab assembly.

Unemployment in the UK is currently running at a rate of 100 million prefabs per year.

And I am only counting the unemployed registered unemployed.

By rights, if we employed the unemployed to build prefabs - in one year, every citizen could have 2 homes each.

The figure we need to reach is 250k per year.

we are running at 137k...

if the public sector iso great why did all the blocks of council flats have to be pulled down after around 30 years when there are thousands of privately owned and built houses 100, 200 or more years old, that are still going strong?