Key to a blissful life..stay in rural areas

TJC1

I didn't.

Having lived in what you describe as "built up urban" Sheffield for 60 years I made the move to rural life without the "premium" you speak of.

I guess it depends what you call a desirable area.....not sure Penistone would do it for me.

I doubt my village would suit everyone either.....a very remote village....few facilities...but peace and quiet.

Where in Wales are you?, a lot of south wales remote villages are expectionally cheap!

I could never live in a built up urban ,noisy area. =Im happiest where i am , in a very rural location and total piece and quiet .

People pay a premium for a rural lifestyle and this is why im so bitterly against building on greenbelt land ,because it would spoil what we pay good money for ........ a tranquil lifestyle without the housing estates and all the problems they bring.

That just proves that not everyone gets happiness the same way. I would happily pay a premium to live in the centre of somewhere like Sheffield as it has lots of amenities nearby. I couldn;t live in the country where the local entertainment consists of some gruff pub and a sheep tied to a lamp post!

Problem is I also like my space... So I would need a considerable amount of money for a decent penthouse apartment.

Yet the BBC today has been critical of the reported crime and problems within rural areas which either isn't reported or isn't investigated.

"Crime in rural parts of England and Wales cost more than £800m last year, a survey of 17,000 people suggests."

Edited by willman

That just proves that not everyone gets happiness the same way. I would happily pay a premium to live in the centre of somewhere like Sheffield as it has lots of amenities nearby. I couldn;t live in the country where the local entertainment consists of some gruff pub and a sheep tied to a lamp post!

Problem is I also like my space... So I would need a considerable amount of money for a decent penthouse apartment.

You are right as far as I'm concerned DnAuK. I have nothing against the countryside but I would be bored silly in no time. At the moment I can have a ten minute walk to pubs with brilliant entertainment. I can be in the city centre in ten minutes. If anything goes wrong a five minute walk will get me to bus that drops me outside the Northern general hospital. Five minutes in the other direction gets me access to the Hallamshire.

Yet the BBC today has been critical of the reported crime and problems within rural areas which either isn't reported or isn't investigated.

"Crime in rural parts of England and Wales cost more than £800m last year, a survey of 17,000 people suggests."

Is much of that livestock and farming equipment crime though?

That's peanuts compared to the cost of crime in the non rural parts of the country.

That's peanuts compared to the cost of crime in the non rural parts of the country.

Probably is,BUT it's not as idyllic as people think, and the cost of policing far exceeds the cost of policing a town.

High increase aswell though as in 2014 the cost was less than £40 million according to the NFU.

"It found the two greatest concerns to the rural community were road safety (63%) and fly-tipping (61%)" - no different to town life suburban life really.

I didn't.

Having lived in what you describe as "built up urban" Sheffield for 60 years I made the move to rural life without the "premium" you speak of.

I guess it depends what you call a desirable area.....not sure Penistone would do it for me.

I doubt my village would suit everyone either.....a very remote village....few facilities...but peace and quiet.

Im a couple of miles outside Penistone , very remote, which is why we chose it, for the same reasons as yourself, piece and quiet.

Probably is,BUT it's not as idyllic as people think, and the cost of policing far exceeds the cost of policing a town.

High increase aswell though as in 2014 the cost was less than £40 million according to the NFU.

"It found the two greatest concerns to the rural community were road safety (63%) and fly-tipping (61%)" - no different to town life suburban life really.

There is more crime per capita in cities and towns than in rural areas, so I don't get why it would cost more to police rural areas.