Earnings rise 2.9%

The public sector didn't give two hoots about what was happening to none public sector workers, but as soon as they are hit with low pay rises, they seem to think we should all be up in arms.

I dont think that it be the Government setting the pay levels of public sector workers, because it ends up being political.

Why not let councils set their own pay levels. I guess they already set the rate of pay, but not the pay rises.

The nurses and MPs have a pay review body.

I dont think that it be the Government setting the pay levels of public sector workers, because it ends up being political.

Why not let councils set their own pay levels. I guess they already set the rate of pay, but not the pay rises.

You got to be having a laugh .

The government do set the levels for Public Sector workers. Believe me, I know.

So... it's too political when (national) government, but not when (local) government does it. :loopy:

Here's a radical idea.

How about we abolish all national pay arrangements and public sector managers make their own judgements about how many people of what skills to employ and determines pay on an individual basis by one-to-one negotiation. If the staff don't perform, they get sacked and if the manager's team doesn't perform, he/she gets sacked.

I'm frankly sick and tired of unions I have nothing in common with and want nothing to do with, negotiating my pay with central government and then trying to tell me they've done me a favour. All they ever seem to manage is to arrange that good people are underpaid and rubbish people can't be removed.

And they wonder why public sector productivity is low. It's blindingly obvious.

Earnings grew 2.9% excluding bonuses, bet you wish you got 2.9%, and a bonus.

I got the 1% given to the public sector, just like 20% of the population; so I guess there will be some that got nothing and some that got more than 2.9%.

How much rise did you get, in what type of role/industry do you work?

Is that 1% including or excluding your incremental rise? Most in the public sector have rises capped at 1% for the cost of living element but still get their additional rise up their salary band for having another year's experience (unless already at the top of the band). This usually means around 5% or more in total.

Here's a radical idea.

How about we abolish all national pay arrangements and public sector managers make their own judgements about how many people of what skills to employ and determines pay on an individual basis by one-to-one negotiation. If the staff don't perform, they get sacked and if the manager's team doesn't perform, he/she gets sacked.

I'm frankly sick and tired of unions I have nothing in common with and want nothing to do with, negotiating my pay with central government and then trying to tell me they've done me a favour. All they ever seem to manage is to arrange that good people are underpaid and rubbish people can't be removed.

You'll be hung, drawn and quartered for telling the truth.

but still get their additional rise up their salary band for having another year's experience (unless already at the top of the band). This usually means around 5% or more in total.

Did you read this in the Sun, or perhaps the Mail; I havnt a clue what you are talking about.

---------- Post added 16-09-2015 at 21:19 ----------

How are you measuring this?

Did you read this in the Sun, or perhaps the Mail; I havnt a clue what you are talking about.

No, I have family and friends in the public sector.

For example, under NHS Agenda for Change, salary increments are spread over X amount of years from the bottom to the top of the bandings. This is in addition to the cost of living increase, currently capped at 1%.