Earnings rise 2.9%

do you have tea breaks at your place of work ? do you have washing facilities/ take annual holiday/wear ppe etc. all thanks to unions sticking up for the working man :D then along comes thatcher who defeats the unions to what they are today. then along comes employers employing agency workers/ zero hours contracts and less rights for the working man :loopy:

And yet there have always been Zhcs. Even before thatch.

And of course people still have washing facilities have holidays wear ppe etc. you say it was unions. It wasn't it was govt legislation. Onions just get in the way of everyone.

And of course people still have washing facilities have holidays wear ppe etc. you say it was unions. It wasn't it was govt legislation. Onions just get in the way of everyone.

yes right brought about union intervention think what you like ron the unions did some good for the working man. btw onions just give me heartburn :hihi:

yes right brought about union intervention think what you like ron the unions did some good for the working man. btw onions just give me heartburn :hihi:

I wasn't proposing to ban unions.

My ideal situation would be that unions would exist, but be entirely voluntary. If the unions negotiate a structured pay deal and other terms with an employer (often the state) then I want to be left out of it and free to negotiate myself.

If the unions want their members to be difficult to sack, then their other members can pay the price for this and not me.

If a union calls a strike, they should be completely free to do so (without hindrance from the state), but the employer should be free to sack the striking employees for doing so. And most importantly they should not be allowed to try to prevent me from going to work during their strike. I'm content to have a law saying that a person cannot be fired for simply joining a union as it does not automatically affect their job performance.

Union organisers can do their union work in the free time without using their employer's resources or expecting their employers to pay them to do it.

The special status of unions in law and their presumption to negotiate on behalf of non-members is my issue. Get rid of that and I shall cease to have a problem with them.

The public sector in particular suffers from a decoupling of performance from remuneration and advancement and the unions are a big part of that.

No, I have family and friends in the public sector.

For example, under NHS Agenda for Change, salary increments are spread over X amount of years from the bottom to the top of the bandings. This is in addition to the cost of living increase, currently capped at 1%.

Bang on. Government capped pay rises at 1% for the next few years. Our Department has offered 0.9% this year. In addition our pay terms were changed last year to remove the right to standard progression.

Yet I remain your humble servant....

Bang on. Government capped pay rises at 1% for the next few years. Our Department has offered 0.9% this year. In addition our pay terms were changed last year to remove the right to standard progression.

Our pay in the public sector rose faster than in the private sector before Labour's great recession. That's partly why we have this enormous deficit to deal with.

It continued to rise when private sector pay was falling.

If public sector workers don't like it we can always quit.

Our pay in the public sector rose faster than in the private sector before Labour's great recession. That's partly why we have this enormous deficit to deal with.

your pay in the public sector would be much higher and be rising faster if blair and brown hadn't set on around a million extra public sector workers to be paid from the same cash pot. moderation in all things. there is nothing wrong with providing extra services, but only when the country could afford it. unfortunately brown and darlings response to a recession and the prospect of losing an election was to increase public services when they were least affordable.

your pay in the public sector would be much higher and be rising faster if blair and brown hadn't set on around a million extra public sector workers to be paid from the same cash pot. moderation in all things. there is nothing wrong with providing extra services, but only when the country could afford it. unfortunately brown and darlings response to a recession and the prospect of losing an election was to increase public services when they were least affordable.

In my experience, most of the people Blair added just get in the way.

The bureaucracy that exists now within the public sector would have been considered too ridiculous for a whitehall farce 30 years ago.

More than what I've had in the private sector...

Funnily enough I didn't work in the public sector before 'Labour's Great Recession' so I wouldn't know. And of course I can always quit. But with an estimated 30% reduction in our workforce by 2020 I doubt I will get the chance to...

Women like them, the unions got them equal pay, each woman got thousands.

The unions are helping me too, they could do much better tho.

https://www.unison.org.uk/news/article/2013/06/wins-historic-equal-pay-case-worth-millions-of-pounds-for-members/