Stagecoach maintains stranglehold on trains.

I disagree that HS2 is a reason not to invest in the existing route.

A couple of points I would remind on:

- HS2 is about longer term planning, upgrades to the existing routes is still a necessary short/medium term investment.

- HS2 is about creating extra capacity, moving long distance passenger traffic onto a new high speed line, freeing up capacity on the existing lines for more freight and more local commuter trains - the existing line won't close so still need investment and maintenance.

And exactly how does the Stagecoach contract extension fit into that? I fully agree the line itself needs maintaining. But I'm not sure Stagecoach have much input on that. For me, the service to london is adequate (though no more). What they really need to invest in is a better, more joined up service between the cities and towns in the North, which isn't. But currently Northern, who moperate most of that network, don't seem to inclined to do so. Maybe Stagecoach would if they won that contract?

When any business continues without investment the customers get a gradually worsening service. In the normal world customers would go elsewhere. There appears to be acceptance of an "adequate" service from Sheffield when all around us competing cities have better journey times and newer stock.

How old and how slow will our train service get?

Between them the government and Stagecoach have created an effective monopoly on travel between Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield and London, bolstered by a popular brand name Virgin in the case of Manchester and Leeds.

The government has always used the profitable routes in the north and midlands together with masses of taxpayers money to subsidise London commuter traffic, making promises that it will be our turn next.

Currently Stagecoach have no interest in bidding for a new contract for services from Sheffield neither have the Government in tendering.

They are both happy to use the Direct Awards system.

There too much doubt involved.

- splitting/ending/replacement of the Liverpool - Norwich route.

- slow down of MML times to London.

- lack of capacity at St Pancras.

- more conflict with new Thameslink services south of Bedford.

- no prospect of any new diesel rolling stock being built.

- delay to electrification between Sheffield and Bedford.

- no new electric services possible north and east of Sheffield within franchise.

- more conflict with new Corby services south of Kettering.

- effect of new services from Bedford to Oxford (and South coast).

- unmet demand for connections with Thameslink.

- increasingly poor performance and availability of Meridian 222s.

- increasing impact of poorly performing and uneconomic HSTs.

- inability to increase passenger capacity.