My Kids are coming to the age at which they may take drugs.

What do you actually think? They're at the age where they could experience pressure for not taking drugs, but do you think they would do it if offered the chance? or could they be peer pressured in to it.

When I was young I don't think my mother was worried I would be pressured in to taking drugs, she simply told me if I did it, I'd have to deal with the consequences and find a way to pay for it, but we both knew it wasn't my sort of thing. To this day I've never tried drugs. I think I smoked once, noticed it did nothing at all for me, and didn't bother again.

Alcohol is different for me, I drink once a week at the weekends, used to be a lot more when I was going through uni. I suppose you could say it's getting better.

What do you actually think? They're at the age where they could experience pressure for not taking drugs, but do you think they would do it if offered the chance? or could they be peer pressured in to it.

When I was young I don't think my mother was worried I would be pressured in to taking drugs, she simply told me if I did it, I'd have to deal with the consequences and find a way to pay for it, but we both knew it wasn't my sort of thing. To this day I've never tried drugs. I think I smoked once, noticed it did nothing at all for me, and didn't bother again.

Alcohol is different for me, I drink once a week at the weekends, used to be a lot more when I was going through uni. I suppose you could say it's getting better.

I drink. Plenty! They are not blind and can see that I am fine when I'm sober, that I can run a business and that I am social. They will take that as a role model, though not perfect, we have fun.

My issue is not whether to bring up the subject of drugs- I have done and still do, but whether to talk to them about strengths and dangers along those line, because it kind of legitimises and gives a certain acceptance that they will before they do. I'm also of the mind that if I do accept "soft" drugs as acceptable,and they want to rebel, then that's not something to rebel about. So they'll do worse.

I drink. Plenty! They are not blind and can see that I am fine when I'm sober, that I can run a business and that I am social. They will take that as a role model, though not perfect, we have fun.

My issue is not whether to bring up the subject of drugs- I have done and still do, but whether to talk to them about strengths and dangers along those line, because it kind of legitimises and gives a certain acceptance that they will before they do. I'm also of the mind that if I do accept "soft" drugs as acceptable,and they want to rebel, then that's not something to rebel about. So they'll do worse.

The only thing I'd advise if they get caught by the police with anything stronger than a bit of weed, life could get awkward. I don't know what it's like now but I lost count the times the rozzers made me turn my pockets out or felt the need to pat me down when I was out with my mates.

Also tell the kids that if they want to go, in future, to the USA, the ESTA Visa Application asks the question,not do you have any Drug convictions,not have you been Charged,but merely have you ever been arrested on Drug matters.

Thus any,even remote( ish) drug connection can stuff such a visit.

I know when I was a young man (50 years ago) going to the USA was one of my ambitions

Why not do a few lines with them...might loosen you up a bit..and connect with the kids..

If they're old enough to smoke nicotine

And they're probably already on caffeine

Then....

Haven't you got to be over 18 to buy tobacco?

And yes they've been on caffeine for a few years now.

But I'm not really asking for advice on legal drugs.

Thanks all the same.

Whats strong MDMA? I understand theres MDMA substitutes, MDA etc...which can be very dangerous.

Pure MDMA or pure heroin....in theory you can take and live perfectly well. They used to give soldiers MDMA in first world war to keep spirits up.

But its never like that with street drugs.

Its the cutting and subsequent overdoses, that makes unsafe.

I honestly think legalisation and taxation of drugs would be safer.

Actually you need a lot less pure MDMA or heroin to kill you than the cut versions, assuming whatever it's cut with isn't toxic.

And the thing about WW1 soldiers being given Ecstasy (aka MDMA) is completely wrong. Maybe you're thinking of the amphetamine which was given to troops on both sides in WW2 and subsequent wars to keep them awake for long periods.