Lidl to pioneer £8.20 per hour living wage

TJC1

Regardless, Lidl have exposed the big supermarkets. If Lidl can do it why can't other supermarkets? I know where I shall be taking my custom in future.

Mind, don't you feel sad for those other supermarkets who find their profits are down by a small percentage, but still make millions profit? I weep for them:roll: and yet THEY expect their workers to live on the minimum wage!

Lidl like Aldi do seem to have much fewer staff than the main supermarkets who perform a variety of tasks . Whatever their reasons it's certainly been good publicity for the overseas based company .

Lidl and aldi have always paid good wages though, so them upping it more than their rivals isn't news. In comparison to the other supermarkets they've always paid their lowest rung staff far better and their prices have been lower, their service equal or better. The same could be said for Waitrose as well, except the prices.

However , if companies are forced to increase the minimum wage or living wage then job losses are inevitable . In the real world an employer who pays six workers for example may only able to afford to employ five .

I accept some employers can afford to pay workers more and do exploit them ,but there are also many who are struggling in the cut throat commercial world

In a lot of cases though it's workers wages/jobs for the sake of profit/for the benefit of shareholders. A company who makes a decent profit and gives a good dividend but treats staff as part of the infrastructure, an expendable, unfortunate but necessary inconvenience shouldn't have excuses made for them and certainly not felt in any way sorry for.

It should be pushed to extinction as a business practice, but it seems like many people think it's ok.

There are always a lot of arguments that small business can't afford the pay rise which in some cases would be true, but in my experience it's not small business that pay minimum wages; they've always paid decent wages because they're not entirely defunct in the morals department.

---------- Post added 19-09-2015 at 10:27 ----------

I remember years ago at christmass when I was stood next to a checkout girl telling someone they were on treble time for that day. £24 per hour.

Which supermarket?

There are always a lot of arguments that small business can't afford the pay rise which in some cases would be true, but in my experience it's not small business that pay minimum wages; they've always paid decent wages because they're not entirely defunct in the morals department.

I agree a small business is more likely to pay their employees what the business can afford and reward workers who are a good asset for them .

However , a small business is more likely to suffer as a consequence of legislation such as women taking maternity pay and leave .

Some of the supermarkets, if they don't already, would do well to employ the same publicists and advertising agencies as Lidl/Aldi. In my opinion, as an example, their Christmas advertising was very clever and wasn't bettered. I'm not a fan of either and must be missing something according to reports, but I'm not going to go into that.The last time I shopped there an assistant was up a ladder mending a door. Don't know what Health and Safety would have said. All the staff seem very good at multi tasking and I've got to say the few times I have visited the shop are extremely polite and helpful.

Lidl and aldi have always paid good wages though, so them upping it more than their rivals isn't news. In comparison to the other supermarkets they've always paid their lowest rung staff far better and their prices have been lower, their service equal or better. The same could be said for Waitrose as well, except the prices.

To be fair, Waitrose, as part of the John Lewis partnership, has a share partnership scheme that all their workers participate in. But I agree they are quite pricey, but then if you have a Waitrose in your area, you know you are in an up and coming gentrified area. :)

---------- Post added 19-09-2015 at 13:37 ----------

Some of the supermarkets, if they don't already, would do well to employ the same publicists and advertising agencies as Lidl/Aldi. In my opinion, as an example, their Christmas advertising was very clever and wasn't bettered.

Remind us what their Christmas advertising was like last year?

If Lidl can do it, all supermarkets can. Lidl have the best paid graduate program too.

---------- Post added 19-09-2015 at 13:40 ----------

£38,000 to £63,250 (subject to experience)

• Fully expensed company car including private millage - Audi A4 or A3

• 35 days holiday per annum (including bank holidays)

• Private medical insurance

• Contributory pension scheme

• 10% discount on all Lidl products, in all stores throughout the UK

• Access to corporate discounts on a range of products and services (including holidays, home and garden products, leisure activities and more)

• Initial training and on-going development from an experienced team member

• Brilliant opportunities to take on more responsibility and long term career prospects

In a lot of cases though it's workers wages/jobs for the sake of profit/for the benefit of shareholders. A company who makes a decent profit and gives a good dividend but treats staff as part of the infrastructure, an expendable, unfortunate but necessary inconvenience shouldn't have excuses made for them and certainly not felt in any way sorry for.

It should be pushed to extinction as a business practice, but it seems like many people think it's ok.

Which supermarket?

Wadsley Bridge.