Great Yorkshire Run 2015

Usual farce of organisation in Sheffield.

Yes, close some roads, but please, please, please, arrange for traffic marshalls on the diversion routes.

Change the lighting priorities, get police on the disrupted junctions...

Oh, hold on - that might cost money to the greedy grabbing oragnisers who don't think about the disruption - they only trumpet "but it's for a good cause"...

If any of the organisers can actually truthfully say they did not benefit from this event, then I will stop ranting about this being just yet another massive chugger event - because basically that is all it was!

Get out and do a bit of running. You'll feel much better about yourself.

People were running for the charity of their choice and some just because they wanted to.

There have been signs up in Sheffield warning of road closures for weeks - do those caught out in the detours drive around with their eyes closed ?

I was visiting a close relative very near to Penistone Road at the time of the run and had no trouble getting there - it just takes a little forethought and planning. It was all done and dusted by 12.30 !

Well done to all those who ran today - much money will have been raised for very many worthy causes:clap:

I ran for Macmillan Cancer Care and in addition to raising funds feel better for the exercise. I'm sure organisers of such events look at many options before deciding a detailed route.

Thousands of runners require more width than most B roads provide, especially near the start. This particular route was quite congested from the start down to Park Square. In truth it's not a good showcase for Sheffield, but it's about as level as you can get round here. The new half marathon course up to Ringinglow is much better, but it's hilly nature is too much for many from flatter parts of the country.

I'm sorry some residents have been inconvenienced. However, if it takes place again next year I'll be giving it another shot. I know many genuinely aren't able to take part. I'm just thankful I can.

For those who think they couldn't, but have never tried, give it a go. You wouldn't be last - you'll find some who'd rather walk most of it than miss it:)

Edited by 1978
additional word

Get out and do a bit of running. You'll feel much better about yourself.

Thanks for your opinion, I feel fine about myself - you appear to typify the 'holier than thou' brigade that feel they need to have a cause (possibly due to inadequacies in the rest of their lives).

I do quite a bit for charity without inconveniencing others - how about you?

We moved my partners daughter into student accommodation in Cumbria last weekend and had to be there for a set time, sheffield may be the same. If the race was to raise money for children's hospital why were there people running for cancer charities and alzheimers society.

It might come as a surprise to you, but there are children in the Childrens Hospital having treatment for Cancer.

Surely any money raised for Cancer research, may result in better treatment, which will even help Sheffield Childrens Hospital

Edited by bazjea

I realise now that there was more than one charity but our friend ran in it for the Childrens Hospital

---------- Post added 27-09-2015 at 19:57 ----------

Thanks for your opinion, I feel fine about myself - you appear to typify the 'holier than thou' brigade that feel they need to have a cause (possibly due to inadequacies in the rest of their lives).

I do quite a bit for charity without inconveniencing others - how about you?

It wasn't much of an inconvenience. I live North of Sheffield and there ae plenty of ways to avoid Penistone road

I realise now that there was more than one charity but our friend ran in it for the Childrens Hospital

---------- Post added 27-09-2015 at 19:57 ----------

It wasn't much of an inconvenience. I live North of Sheffield and there ae plenty of ways to avoid Penistone road

All of which were congested of course. It was a nightmare. Its about time these things were stopped on the roads. SOME people have work related places to go and things to do, even on a Sunday.

I don't have a problem with the run, or with closing Penistone road - but they have to put in place better diversions. It caused chaos in the north of the city, and led to the trams being cancelled. Although I have to say Stagecoach did a brilliant job of getting us into the city anyway.

The city SHOULD be able to cope if they plan and design the diversions appropriately.