Great Yorkshire Run 2015

Some negative people around.

Well done to all those that ran.

Yeah, it's not like they were given notice of the event :roll::D

Thank you. It was a great run and great advert for Sheffield. The atmosphere was wonderful. I spoke to a few people from outside the city who said they had enjoyed it, the atmosphere and Sheffield in general :)

If any trams were cancelled it might been due to congestion around Hillsborough. The run route was carefully planned to avoid crossing the tracks at any point.

A normal service was supposed to be running, but there are various other cumulative factors that may have been a cause of disruption, not just the run.

They were turning round at Shalesmoor due to the traffic backed up on Langsett Road.

I suppose walking back to Hillsborough from there was a good cool down for me :D

I suspect part of the problems is a lot of people's inability to consider other modes of transport than the car. A car is a massive convenience, and I know that everyone has different abilities, but there are some people who will jump in the car for the shortest journey regardless of anything else...

Yeah, it's not like they were given notice of the event :roll::D

What difference does advance notice make when the roads were shut from early and the all through most of the day? on a Sunday places are only open in between 11 am and 4pm. If someone needed to be at work at 11 should they have set off at 7?? :roll:

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 17:07 ----------

They were turning round at Shalesmoor due to the traffic backed up on Langsett Road.

I suppose walking back to Hillsborough from there was a good cool down for me :D

I suspect part of the problems is a lot of people's inability to consider other modes of transport than the car. A car is a massive convenience, and I know that everyone has different abilities, but there are some people who will jump in the car for the shortest journey regardless of anything else...

:roll: If cars couldn't get anywhere in the affected areas then public transport can't either, in fact the Trams were cancelled in Hillsborough.

Edited by Hots on

]Yeah' date=' it's not like they were given notice of the event :roll::D[/b']

Thank you. It was a great run and great advert for Sheffield. The atmosphere was wonderful. I spoke to a few people from outside the city who said they had enjoyed it, the atmosphere and Sheffield in general :)

Some people on here need to invest in an A-Z of Sheffield and study alternative routes. With a little planning and forward thinking it is entirely possible to find a different way to where you need to be.

http://www.greatrun.org/great-yorkshire-run#the-course This information has been available for months.

There is always the choice of delaying your journey a little or setting off early or walking - it was a lovely day and it's such good exercise.

It was only for a few hours and only one day out of 365 - some folk need to get a grip and think less about themselves tbh.

Edited by Daven

Grabbing a few responses to my post.

Because that is the route the race has used for some time now. It happens every year on a Sunday, early in the day when disruption will be minimal.

Its a great event for Sheffield, attracting people into the city and inspiring residents to get fit.

These events happen all over the country, in practically every town and city, and I fail to see why Sheffield should be any different.

It's a few hours of disruption to a few roads.

A few hours started with traffic queued up on Middlewood Road at 9, lasted until 5. That is not a few hours, that is the whole day.

You mean the run that has been held every year for 8 years ..? the majority of the time along the same route, on a Sunday morning to minimise disruption to traffic ...An event raising money for charity....

Some people like to moan for the sake it.... and patronise posters by calling them clappers...

It has been held since I have moved here, I happen to have been away almost all of September. It still doesn't answer the basic question: Why Penistone Road?

"I got caught out" think about the greater good Mr Liberal

Only joking pal

True, I know it sounds like an excuse, but it genuinely isn't. We arrived Saturday after a 10 hour drive from Scotland via Oughtibridge and never saw the signs.

There are plenty of other ways to get to childrens hospital I'm sure. This race was to raise money for it for crying out loud. Some people just can't see the bigger picture, they think the world revolves round them.

Bigger picture: Why Penistone Road out of all the roads available?

Smaller picture: "Some people are so selfish!"

Penistone road is not the only artery, there's allus Middlewood and Barnsley Road. We went down there about noon and everything seemed OK. Moving little darlings into halls of residence can be done in afternoon. Let's face it not many students get up in the morning at weekends anyway. How selfish some people are

I don't know about Barnsley Road, but Middlewood Road was chockablock practically all day. For a lot of people the rat-run round the back over Walkley and Crookes is tricky to navigate at the best of times. Taking out Penistone Road basically isolates Hillsborough and forces traffic where it shouldn't be.

Living just off Middlewood Road I noticed a major increase in cars whizzing up and down the street trying to find a way out of the poorly signposted diversions.

:roll: If cars couldn't get anywhere in the affected areas then public transport can't either, in fact the Trams were cancelled in Hillsborough.

:rolleyes: Ye-es. I know that. Did you read the bit where I said "They were turning round at Shalesmoor due to the traffic backed up on Langsett Road."

Or did you just skim over that bit because you couldn't use your car for a few hours?

My point about obsessive use of cars was a general one, not specific to yesterday - yesterday is just an example highlighting it.

Oh, and as I assume you didn't read the rest of my post as well, I'd just like to clarify:

Cars are very convenient.

People have different physical abilities and may not be able to use other forms of transport as easily/at all.

Sometimes public transport is not a feasible option.

Have I covered everything there?

Grabbing a few responses to my post.

Bigger picture: Why Penistone Road out of all the roads available?

10km races are usually held on flat routes - Penistone Road is an ideal route out of the city centre for this.

5000 runners need a wide road to prevent bottle necks - again, Penistone Road is ideal.

Supporters, bands, choirs, water stations etc need somewhere to stand - the central reservation on much of Penistone Road is ideal for this.

Can you suggest an alternative to Penistone Road that has all of these qualities?

10km races are usually held on flat routes - Penistone Road is an ideal route out of the city centre for this.

5000 runners need a wide road to prevent bottle necks - again, Penistone Road is ideal.

Supporters, bands, choirs, water stations etc need somewhere to stand - the central reservation on much of Penistone Road is ideal for this.

Can you suggest an alternative to Penistone Road that has all of these qualities?

I'd hold it on the parkway, just for one year and then everybody will clambering for it to be moved back to Penistone way!

What difference does advance notice make when the roads were shut from early and the all through most of the day? on a Sunday places are only open in between 11 am and 4pm. If someone needed to be at work at 11 should they have set off at 7?? :roll:

Don't exaggerate. It wasn't closed all day. There are plenty of other ways in and out of Hillsborough, we went to Argos at 1230 and the traffic was flowing freely. People have no gumption if they can't find a way round it