Are the Police too soft?

Dozens of motorists are to be prosecuted after being caught driving the wrong way down a slip road of the M60 near Sale, Greater Manchester.

A total of 74 vehicles reversed and drove the wrong way to avoid queuing following a crash which closed the motorway on 6 September. Police have issued a warning and said the drivers' actions were "irresponsible and dangerous". The cars blocked emergency vehicles trying to attend the scene.

Those caught will be offered a driver awareness course or summoned to court.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-34301982

I have also observed that sometimes people get stopped by the police, but just get a warning; an official notice to repair a fault within a certain time.

Its very rare to get stopped, surely a fine should be issued every time?

Dozens of motorists are to be prosecuted after being caught driving the wrong way down a slip road of the M60 near Sale, Greater Manchester.

A total of 74 vehicles reversed and drove the wrong way to avoid queuing following a crash which closed the motorway on 6 September. Police have issued a warning and said the drivers' actions were "irresponsible and dangerous". The cars blocked emergency vehicles trying to attend the scene.

I have also observed that sometimes people get stopped by the police, but just get a warning; an official notice to repair a fault within a certain time.

If you were pulled over by the Police for having a fault; for example a non-working brake light, would you be happy to take some advice and be given the opportunity to put it right in a given time or be fined there and then?

Some (probably most) coppers have the right balance. The repeat offenders will be shown little or no mercy where as the one time usually good driver who is caught out by circumstance or just makes a mistake is often given a warning. Anyway, who wants a system where simple mistakes are treated in the same way as deliberate actions?

Some (probably most) coppers have the right balance. The repeat offenders will be shown little or no mercy where as the one time usually good driver who is caught out by circumstance or just makes a mistake is often given a warning. Anyway, who wants a system where simple mistakes are treated in the same way as deliberate actions?

Don't often agree with you - but this time I do !:)

The skill of the police is knowing the difference - 'coppers nose' I believe they call it .

The skill of the police is knowing the difference - 'coppers nose' I believe they call it .

Yep, i think thats it. Its quite impressive too. I watched a few cop shows, the in car camera ones and the amount of times a copper has said to the camera, 'Hes worth a pull' or 'that looks dodgy' and i look at the screen and think, Nah, youre just playing to the camera but sure as eggs is eggs 9 times out 10 they get something and it was a worthwhile stop.

Taking that skill away from them by making sure they hammer everyone will just make for a poorer police force and thery will get even more resentment than they do now. Also, taking time to deal with the one off type driving offence (all the one off type offences they see which will be loads) your stopping them deal with the real dangers on the road.

It's pretty simple. If they are working class or a funny colour, fine them. If they are wealthy, and/or live in a posh neighbourhood, let them off.

Perhaps many of the motorists were confused and just copied what the other motorists were doing because they assumed the Police had directed them to do this .

I suspect the Police are making a mountain out of a molehill of the incident given the fact some motorways lose the hard shoulder which is very useful for emergency vehicles to get to accidents .

Also it should be a nice little earner for whoever receives the fines for these offences captured on CCTV .

Are cops too soft?

No.

The question should be is our justice system fit for purpose?

And that's a no too.

Many cops work their arse off to bring in offenders only for the C(an't)P(rosecute)S to refuse to prosecute regardless of evidence.

Even on the occasions were it does go to court then it's a case of either a sentence that in no way befits the crime, ie a slapped wrist or sent to one of her maj's prisons that offer better living conditions and are treated with kid gloves.