Man gets 8 years in prison for buying talcum powder!

Waldo

Yeah, of course it's sensationalist!

So, what puzzles me is this, is crime is about what you *think* you're doing, rather than what you're actually doing?

If I intend to kill someone next week; but haven't actually, as yet, done anything. Can I be put in prison for my intention?

if you attempt to shoot someone and they are wearing a bullet proof vest it is still attempted murder.

if a dealer tries to buy a kilo of heroine from an undercover cop it is still an offence whether or not he is sold the drugs.

if you attempt to shoot someone and they are wearing a bullet proof vest it is still attempted murder.

if a dealer tries to buy a kilo of heroine from an undercover cop it is still an offence whether or not he is sold the drugs.

Yes and Yes.

For plotting mass murder? Should have been life.

Sure. If he was planning to do that, and would have, had he not been stopped, then I agree. But; what evidence was there that he was planning on using it to commit mass murder?

The judge continued: "I am satisfied that Mohammed Ali had no intention of disposing of ricin immediately. He intended to keep it.

"That created a real risk that, at some stage in the future, he might decide to experiment with it or it fall into the wrong hands."

Doesn't sound to me like planning to use it to commit mass murder.

Edited by Waldo

If I intend to kill someone next week; but haven't actually, as yet, done anything. Can I be put in prison for my intention?

The guy did more than think about it.

Failure to achieve his objective is no defence. That's why we have crimes like attempted murder.

If I tried to assassinate Tony Blair, would I get off scot-free if I failed?

Remember the guy who fired blanks at the Queen? He got 5 years in jail.

Sure. If he was planning to do that, and would have, had he not been stopped, then I agree. But; what evidence was there that he was planning on using it to commit mass murder?

Doesn't sound to me like planning to use it to commit mass murder.

without google I can't imagine any benevolent acts that ricin could be used for,

It's one of those unfortunate human discoveries that really should be eased from history, afic.

Edited by psynuk

Yeah, of course it's sensationalist!

So, what puzzles me is this, is crime is about what you *think* you're doing, rather than what you're actually doing?

The crime was the attempt to buy Ricin.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 08:39 ----------

Yes, I think you can. Something like conspiracy to murder.

Seems like harsh sentence! Man buys 5 tiny vials of talc, from the dark web, and is given 8 years! Is that justice?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34288380

A man who tried to buy deadly ricin poison from the Dark Web after being inspired by the TV series Breaking Bad has been jailed for eight years.

The court heard Ali, of Prescot Road, a computer programmer, first heard about ricin after watching the US crime drama Breaking Bad.

Another simple mind influenced by the West.