Checking your mirrors

This is why you have little credibility. You make things up, you lie, you try to stir trouble. Now the more naive forum members would probably fall for it hook line and sinker but not me fella. I just sit back and laugh :D

Perhaps you could stop trolling and start debating...?

Perhaps you could stop trolling and start debating...?

lol. Yeah, ok then. Tell you what, go back through the thread and find said trolling. Heres a tip, Stop it!

You'll end up looking foolish as per usual. I mean, when you arent telling blatant porkies (like ive edited one of your posts) but you also see fit to question mod decisions on the open forum. I mean, you dont even have the decency to do it via private message.

No class, No standards, No surprise. :)

Anyway. Ive made my opinions clear. Take them or leave them but im done on this thread now. Anyone wants to discuss this you know where the pm box is :D

This is why you have little credibility. You make things up, you lie, you try to stir trouble. Now the more naive forum members would probably fall for it hook line and sinker but not me fella. I just sit back and laugh :D

If I've made something up then feel free to point it out and I'll retract it. :huh:

Oh, I see you've now done the "I'm out of this thread" post, so you don't have to try to prove your allegations.

I could never understand why I was told to check my rear view mirror with every gear change.

Because it's best practice to check mirrors on seeing a hazard and a hazard is anything that might involve you in indicating, changing direction or speed.

Changing gear up or down involves changes in speed (ie what's behind before slowing, what's behind before accelerating?)

I find that the bulk of drivers I sit with do not check their blind spot at all or adequately early before changing lane. They over-rely on their door mirror and leave themselves wide open to not seeing something, not surprisingly, in their blind spot.

Amazingly, I had one course monitor/colleague once question me on why I checked b.s. before changing lanes and realised he'd hung himself when I asked him how only checking into my b.s. when I'm sure that I'm unsure what's there would work.

The most powerful advocates and practitioners of blind spot checks that I meet are those drivers who have had a palpitation or two when moving towards something they've not spotted in their blind spot. Experience is a bad teacher.

Edited by DT Ralge

I'd guess that cyclists and motorcyclists are also good at shoulder checks when driving a car, since it's a vital habit to have for them.

Yes. Indeed.

---------- Post added 29-09-2015 at 11:51 ----------

None of which means motorists shouldn't always check before they turn. They may, for instance, not be aware their indicator light is broken.

When an indicator bulb has gone awol, in my experience, the remaining bulb and the internal ticking goes at double speed so the driver should know of it immediately.

Changing gear up or down involves changes in speed (ie what's behind before slowing, what's behind before accelerating?)

What is directly behind you should have no bearing on your actions at all.

The onus is on all drivers to pay attention to what is in front of them. For instance, you can't consider what's behind you before you react to something in front of you, which may require you to slow down.

Oh it most certainly should. Starting with the obvious one what if the thing behind has blue or green flashing lights?

If you have something close behind you, and a small dog runs out, you are going to run over the dog. Safer than getting rear ended.

If there is nothing behing you, you brake for the dog. There may be a child following Rover trying to grab him...

You should always know exactly whats behind you, because you should be checking mirrors every few seconds.

---------- Post added 29-09-2015 at 13:42 ----------

I'd guess that cyclists and motorcyclists are also good at shoulder checks when driving a car, since it's a vital habit to have for them.

First time I got in a car my driving instructor said "Do you drive a bike".

It was the constant looking over my shoudlers at junctions that did it.

Also driving with me in the middle of the road, not the car. He was forever pushing the wheel to move me away from the ditch at first :)

Oh it most certainly should. Starting with the obvious one what if the thing behind has blue or green flashing lights?

If you have something close behind you, and a small dog runs out, you are going to run over the dog. Safer than getting rear ended.

If there is nothing behing you, you brake for the dog. There may be a child following Rover trying to grab him...

You should always know exactly whats behind you, because you should be checking mirrors every few seconds.

Are you saying that if say a child suddenly runs into the road in front of you requiring you to brake immediately, you should first consider what's behind you??

If you get "rear ended" that is entirely the driver behinds fault for not allowing more stopping distance in front of him/her for such an eventuality.

Are you saying that if say a child suddenly runs into the road in front of you requiring you to brake immediately, you should first consider what's behind you??

If you get "rear ended" that is entirely the driver behinds fault for not allowing more stopping distance in front of him/her for such an eventuality.

Where did I say child above? I said "dog"

They are different.

If you suddenly clam your brakes on for a squirrel and get shunted by someone from behind you may be surprised as to what the police think about it!