Checking your mirrors

I see bad driving all day and everyday but don't mention it on here as I'd block the forum!

I get cut up regularly,:roll: countless times a day. reaction; nil. I get overtaken at dangerous/silly points reaction; nil. I get people at 25mph in a 40 zone in front, reaction; nil! and on and on ----.

There will always be arrogant drivers because they are arrogant anyway, you won't alter that regardless of what you do!

Licence holders and drivers? Now there's a debate!

I am obsessed with driving and the driving laws and read the 'gov.uk' sites regularly because they don't tell you when things change, it's up to you to find out.

Q! How many of you know that the HGV speed limit was raised on April 6th this year?

I would be interested personally and would start a poll ( but I'm not that interested :wink: )

Chevrons on a road??? what do they mean? solid white line MUST NOT cross, Highway code rule 130 If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.

I could go on and on but I won't because I don't need to. Look and read the highway code and any gov.uk driving sites, you may be surprised that when you took your test10/20/30 years ago that some driving laws have been altered.

I passed my first test in 1979 but have since passed 5 others so I am a little clued up

I see bad driving all day and everyday but don't mention it on here as I'd block the forum!

I get cut up regularly,:roll: countless times a day. reaction; nil. I get overtaken at dangerous/silly points reaction; nil. I get people at 25mph in a 40 zone in front, reaction; nil! and on and on ----.

There will always be arrogant drivers because they are arrogant anyway, you won't alter that regardless of what you do!

Licence holders and drivers? Now there's a debate!

I am obsessed with driving and the driving laws and read the 'gov.uk' sites regularly because they don't tell you when things change, it's up to you to find out.

Q! How many of you know that the HGV speed limit was raised on April 6th this year?

I would be interested personally and would start a poll ( but I'm not that interested :wink: )

Chevrons on a road??? what do they mean? solid white line MUST NOT cross, Highway code rule 130 If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.

I could go on and on but I won't because I don't need to. Look and read the highway code and any gov.uk driving sites, you may be surprised that when you took your test10/20/30 years ago that some driving laws have been altered.

I passed my first test in 1979 but have since passed 5 others so I am a little clued up

Did this thread strike a chord with you by any chance? :hihi:

-

Very simple really, how often do you check your rear view/wing mirrors when driving?

Unless I have passengers in, I reckon I could perhaps forget about the the rear-view mirror for a good 10 minutes. If someone is doing something erratic behind you, it generally catches your eye with it anyway. I could drive without a rear-view quite comfortably, but I'd rather have it.

The side mirrors I really use a lot though, I like to know what's going on around me, and these are better for that. I hate if they aren't in exactly the position that I like.

(town <> motorway is the only time I alter their position - unless someone else tampers with them of course :suspect::rant::gag:).

shouldn't be checking every 2 minutes, because if you're looking in the mirror for a second or two, then someone pulls in front of you during that time, you weren't looking forward...

Should only be checking on manoeuvres, such as pulling out, stopping, turning etc..

Mirrors use second hand light photons, so what you perceive in them is either unreliable/apocryphal, or, at best, something that happened in the past.

Do not rely on what you see in them, there's a good chance it never happened.

The photons are created at the light source (in daytime that would be the sun), bounce off the other cars and then off mirrors. They're not absorbed and then re-emitted by the mirrors.

What you really want to worry about is photon fatigue. They've just travelled 93 million miles at 186 thousand miles per second to get to the earth only to get smashed in the face with a car. Then to add insult to injury you insist on bashing them headlong into a small mirror, with no regard for what they've already been through, just so that you can avoid turning your head.

It's more than some of them can take and they tend to take that out on drivers by trying to catch them out.

shouldn't be checking every 2 minutes, because if you're looking in the mirror for a second or two, then someone pulls in front of you during that time, you weren't looking forward...

Should only be checking on manoeuvres, such as pulling out, stopping, turning etc..

I take it you dont drive then.

I check my mirrors all the time, but I like to know what's going off around me. There could be a cyclist or motorcyclist filtering at either side, or an emergency vehicle wanting to get past. Also useful to know how close the vehicle behind is if you need to stop quickly.

I even find myself looking for the non-existent rear view mirror, it's just become a habit. Likewise with indicating; not many people seem to consistently and correctly use their indicators.

Very simple really, how often do you check your rear view/wing mirrors when driving?

Today we nearly got pushed off a fast A-road in Scotland during an overtaking manoeuvre because some numpty didn't realise we were there.

I have been taught to check all my mirrors at least twice a minute and certainly before and during changing lane, no matter what the circumstances. That means I know what is behind me all the time and am even more aware when changing lanes, it seems not everybody does this!

As you say, at least every 30 seconds, and I wouldn't start an overtake without a mirror check and a look over my shoulder.

---------- Post added 20-09-2015 at 10:45 ----------

Unless I have passengers in, I reckon I could perhaps forget about the the rear-view mirror for a good 10 minutes. If someone is doing something erratic behind you, it generally catches your eye with it anyway. I could drive without a rear-view quite comfortably, but I'd rather have it.

I went to the tip recently with the back of the car full.

It felt like someone had poked me in the eye!

And I've also carried my bouldering mat blocking my left hand wing mirror. Again, it feels like I've lost an eye.

---------- Post added 20-09-2015 at 10:46 ----------

Hahahhahaha. When do you have your first driving lesson?

The instructor will probably cover the mirror at some point and ask what's behind you. Tell them that you don't know and why, see what they say.