Checking your mirrors

I went to the tip recently with the back of the car full.

It felt like someone had poked me in the eye!

And I've also carried my bouldering mat blocking my left hand wing mirror. Again, it feels like I've lost an eye.

I've driven vans before which don't have rear views, so I'm perhaps more used to it. That is a bit strange at first!

I couldn't drive comfortably without my wing mirrors though.

It does take two bad drivers to have an accident; but it was not OK.

You will have to explain that one, bearing in mind I spent 11 years in the military police in Germany where we attended every traffic accident involving military vehicles and involving service men's private vehicles.

Blame was always apportioned to one of the drivers and a small fine issued to the offending driver.

Yes some collisions can be attributed to both drivers but the majority or down to one driver.

And really, yes, it was ok.

Why? do you feel offended by my sang froid attitude to someone's else momentary lapse in observation?

Should I have ranted and raved, maybe a bit of road rage?

What should my attitude have been? I am at a bit of a loss.

Edited by monkey104

The photons are created at the light source (in daytime that would be the sun), bounce off the other cars and then off mirrors. They're not absorbed and then re-emitted by the mirrors.

What you really want to worry about is photon fatigue. They've just travelled 93 million miles at 186 thousand miles per second to get to the earth only to get smashed in the face with a car. Then to add insult to injury you insist on bashing them headlong into a small mirror, with no regard for what they've already been through, just so that you can avoid turning your head.

It's more than some of them can take and they tend to take that out on drivers by trying to catch them out.

This would account for that now familiar sonnet by Shakespeare 'Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are'. Of course they will … by now, the light photons have travelled the nigh on 100 million miles at speeds of up to mach 2, all the time bumping into things (the Moon being a prime example) and getting all battered and swollen at the same time (relativistically speaking). Often called 'blue shift' due to severe bruising.

It's no wonder things look bigger in the rear view vanity mirror then is it?

If you need to know what's behind you, stop and ask a policeman is my advice.

---------- Post added 20-09-2015 at 17:12 ----------

It does take two bad drivers to have an accident; but it was not OK.

One good driver can have an accident, or two good ones for that matter.

This would account for that now familiar sonnet by Shakespeare 'Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are'. Of course they will … by now, the light photons have travelled the nigh on 100 million miles at speeds of up to mach 2, all the time bumping into things (the Moon being a prime example) and getting all battered and swollen at the same time (relativistically speaking). Often called 'blue shift' due to severe bruising.

It's no wonder things look bigger in the rear view vanity mirror then is it?

If you need to know what's behind you, stop and ask a policeman is my advice.

---------- Post added 20-09-2015 at 17:12 ----------

One good driver can have an accident, or two good ones for that matter.

Exactly, how many bad drivers does it take for one driver to have an accident on an otherwise empty road?