Checking your mirrors

HaHa

No you werent.

Were you there? no... then how do you know he didn't say it?

He told me I don't need to CONSTANTLY check the side mirrors, only when pulling in/out/changing lanes etc...

as for the rear view, also when changing lanes / parking, and before slowing or stopping...

if you're on a long straight, then you don't need to check it every 2 mins...

Because im not daft and even the AA driving instructors are better trained than to give 'advice' like that.

He told me I don't need to CONSTANTLY check the side mirrors, only when pulling in/out/changing lanes etc...

as for the rear view, also when changing lanes / parking, and before slowing or stopping...

Absolute hogwash.

I'm currently learning to drive and my instructor has told me to regularly check my mirrors. For example someone might want to over take you if you don't know their there you might speed up whilst they are trying to over take you which would leave the other person stuck on the wrong side of the road unless they either pulled back in or sped up further which could be dangerous.

It's not just about what your doing it is about what other drivers are doing. Another example is if you have a driver being a plank and driving too close. If you need to slow down say at a junction you would be better to start braking early and therefore slower. If you wait too long and brake quickly they will probably go into the back of you.

I'm currently learning to drive and my instructor has told me to regularly check my mirrors. For example someone might want to over take you if you don't know their there you might speed up whilst they are trying to over take you which would leave the other person stuck on the wrong side of the road unless they either pulled back in or sped up further which could be dangerous.

It's not just about what your doing it is about what other drivers are doing. Another example is if you have a driver being a plank and driving too close. If you need to slow down say at a junction you would be better to start braking early and therefore slower. If you wait too long and brake quickly they will probably go into the back of you.

Spot on, you have a good instructor and you will pass no problem as you understand what they explain to you!

---------- Post added 20-09-2015 at 19:19 ----------

You do need to check, if you are not aware of your 360 at all times, you are doing it wrong. On Sheffield roads just think about motorbikes, cyclists, emergency vehicles and so on. On touristy roads, like the one where this incident happened, there are people that know the roads and drive to the speed limit (like me) and people who are looking around in awe of the environment (like me, the first time I got North of Perth). All drivers should be aware of each other at all times, as demonstrated by my 50 yard stint in the verge.

Exactly, how many bad drivers does it take for one driver to have an accident on an otherwise empty road?

None. Mechanical failure could cause a good driver to crash.

---------- Post added 20-09-2015 at 19:30 ----------

You need to check it far more often than that, even on a straight road with not much traffic.

It does take two bad drivers to have an accident; but it was not OK.

No really it only takes one.

---------- Post added 20-09-2015 at 19:38 ----------

No, about every ten seconds is more like it!

As a motorcyclist I am constantly checking my mirrors as part of a general 360 degree general awareness. This is because I have little control over what's happening behind me. I want to know immediately if anyone's getting too close so that I can either let them pass or accelerate out of their way,depending what I think is safest. This is a habit that I carry over into my car and van driving. We all have more control over what is happening in front and to the sides of us. Behind is where the main danger lies.

One thing that does dismay me is how many people don't seem to see the value of looking over their shoulder to check the blind spot and rely totally on their mirrors.

It does take two bad drivers to have an accident; but it was not OK.

That is not necessarily true, I consider myself a good driver, I am arrogant enough to state that after 15 years without accident, but if the guy in the Shogun had not paid attention at least at some point, we would have been in a very serious crash due to his fault and his fault only.

As a motorcyclist I am constantly checking my mirrors as part of a general 360 degree general awareness. This is because I have little control over what's happening behind me. I want to know immediately if anyone's getting too close so that I can either let them pass or accelerate out of their way,depending what I think is safest. This is a habit that I carry over into my car and van driving. We all have more control over what is happening in front and to the sides of us. Behind is where the main danger lies.

One thing that does dismay me is how many people don't seem to see the value of looking over their shoulder to check the blind spot and rely totally on their mirrors.

Agreed, I always check my blind-spot as well. I forgot once on a dreary morning commute that I should have been more alert on but wasn't and nearly planted my Jazz into an Octavia on the M1 southbound, it wouldn't have been pretty and it is why I am pretty sensitive on this topic.

That is not necessarily true, I consider myself a good driver, I am arrogant enough to state that after 15 years without accident, but if the guy in the Shogun had not paid attention at least at some point, we would have been in a very serious crash due to his fault and his fault only.

Agreed, I always check my blind-spot as well. I forgot once on a dreary morning commute that I should have been more alert on but wasn't and nearly planted my Jazz into an Octavia on the M1 southbound, it wouldn't have been pretty and it is why I am pretty sensitive on this topic.

Oh god please tell me thats not a euphemism.

And that's why,on a bike,I need to be even more aware,it won't just be dented metal! I get a feel for when vehicles are going to pull out and try to watch for the "head turn"! If I don't see it I hang well back. Of course unless there is something too close behind and I have judge where I'll be least vulnerable.

---------- Post added 20-09-2015 at 20:39 ----------

Oh god please tell me thats not a euphemism.

It would have to be a spelling mistake aswell!