Checking your mirrors

Mate, seriously, dont lump all cyclists together. Some ( the normals) wouldnt pass on the inside when a vehicle is turning left, the morons (suicide squad) pass on the left when a vehicle is turning because A, they are morons and B they think everyone on the road should stop for them.

They are usually the losers who wear the ultra bright flashing head gear that blinds car drivers (my lights have to be a certain level why dont theirs?), Go through red lights and on pavements and never signal their intentions type people. Car fodder in other words.

No, the majority of sensible cycles would NEVER and i repeat NEVER pass an vehicle on the inside when the vehicle is turning left.

None of which means motorists shouldn't always check before they turn. They may, for instance, not be aware their indicator light is broken.

None of which means motorists shouldn't always check before they turn. They may, for instance, not be aware their indicator light is broken.

Ha! Nice try. Dont even start justifying some suicidal lunatic on a pedal bike passing on the left when a vehicle is turning. Only the morons do that. Like i said, the vast majority of sensible cyclists wouldnt dream of performing such a dangerous manoeuvre. They know full well it can cost them their life weather the car in front has working indicators or not. Being so vulnerable as they are they should ALWAYS assume the driver they are considering undertaking near a left turn has defective indicators. In fact if you watch the more accomplished riders on the road they do and actually slow down slightly if following a car which is approaching a left turn. As a newbie cyclist its something ive copied and i find it serves me well. The amount of times ive been behind a vehicle and its turned left without indicating is insane. Maybe they have broken repeaters, maybe they dont but hell if i try to pass on the inside and i get wiped out then thats my bad. Oh and by the way, i keep my car in tip top nick. Shes my pride and joy buy once not so long ago i started a journey with all working repeaters and finished it with one not working. It happened all on its own mid journey. Fancy that.

I suppose it's to get into the habit of checking your mirrors regularly.

Mr driving instructor gave me the impression it was in case someone was really close to your rear bumper. I could be wrong though as im terrible at impressions. Look, ill show you....

Whos this?

Adrian. Adrian. Where's your hat?

You dont get a prize for guessing right but your do get my admiration.

Ha! Nice try. Dont even start justifying some suicidal lunatic on a pedal bike passing on the left when a vehicle is turning. Only the morons do that. Like i said, the vast majority of sensible cyclists wouldnt dream of performing such a dangerous manoeuvre. They know full well it can cost them their life weather the car in front has working indicators or not. Being so vulnerable as they are they should ALWAYS assume the driver they are considering undertaking near a left turn has defective indicators. In fact if you watch the more accomplished riders on the road they do and actually slow down slightly if following a car which is approaching a left turn. As a newbie cyclist its something ive copied and i find it serves me well. The amount of times ive been behind a vehicle and its turned left without indicating is insane.

I'm not trying to justify it. I don't do it for the reasons you mentioned and it's possible that I'm one of the more accomplished cyclists you've seen as I've spent decades successfully commuting by bike.

What about motorists changing lanes in traffic jams? Do you think they shouldn't have to look out for motorcyclists filtering between lanes?

Have you actually noticed how often the highway code says look for other road users approaching from the side you're about to turn to. Maybe you need to refresh your memory.

Maybe they have broken repeaters, maybe they dont but hell if i try to pass on the inside and i get wiped out then thats my bad. Oh and by the way, i keep my car in tip top nick. Shes my pride and joy buy once not so long ago i started a journey with all working repeaters and finished it with one not working. It happened all on its own mid journey. Fancy that.

A perfect example of why you should look before you turn.

You should, but they shouldn't. Only a moron would pass on the inside.

Odd, because in the Netherlands all cyclists feel perfectly comfortable passing on the inside. You know why? Because they have law on their side to protect them. They also have infrastructure that isn't 99% focussed on cars. And, surprise, people check their mirrors regularly.

That doesn't mean it never goes wrong, but certainly not with the frequency it does here.

You should, but they shouldn't. Only a moron would pass on the inside.

Don't be ridiculous, for stationary or slow moving traffic passing on the inside is entirely sensible for cyclists.

Passing on the right hand side can easily leave them stranded if the traffic accelerates.

I wouldn't go up the inside of a vehicle indicating left, but I would expect someone turning left to indicate and to check their mirror. I'm doing what I'm supposed to, why are you trying to make excuses for drivers not to?

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 09:35 ----------

Mate, seriously, dont lump all cyclists together. Some ( the normals) wouldnt pass on the inside when a vehicle is turning left, the morons (suicide squad) pass on the left when a vehicle is turning because A, they are morons and B they think everyone on the road should stop for them.

No cyclist would ever voluntarily try to pass a left turning vehicle.

The problem is vehicles that turn left with no signal and without checking their mirror. Cyclists, as clever as they are, still can't read minds.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 09:37 ----------

. Maybe they have broken repeaters, maybe they dont but hell if i try to pass on the inside and i get wiped out then thats my bad.

No, it clearly isn't. It's you dead, but it's entirely their fault for not signaling and checking.

Which doesn't help you, if you're dead or injured, but it does mean that they should be sent to prison for 15 years, and perhaps then monkey and the like will start to indicate and check their mirrors for fear of the consequences to themselves, given that they don't care about the lives of other people.