Checking your mirrors

Don't be ridiculous, for stationary or slow moving traffic passing on the inside is entirely sensible for cyclists.

Passing on the right hand side can easily leave them stranded if the traffic accelerates.

I wouldn't go up the inside of a vehicle indicating left, but I would expect someone turning left to indicate and to check their mirror. I'm doing what I'm supposed to, why are you trying to make excuses for drivers not to?

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 09:35 ----------

No cyclist would ever voluntarily try to pass a left turning vehicle.

The problem is vehicles that turn left with no signal and without checking their mirror. Cyclists, as clever as they are, still can't read minds.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 09:37 ----------

No, it clearly isn't. It's you dead, but it's entirely their fault for not signaling and checking.

Which doesn't help you, if you're dead or injured, but it does mean that they should be sent to prison for 15 years, and perhaps then monkey and the like will start to indicate and check their mirrors for fear of the consequences to themselves, given that they don't care about the lives of other people.

You ever heard of the Self preservation society?

Don't be ridiculous, for stationary or slow moving traffic passing on the inside is entirely sensible for cyclists.

Passing on the right hand side can easily leave them stranded if the traffic accelerates.

I wouldn't go up the inside of a vehicle indicating left, but I would expect someone turning left to indicate and to check their mirror. I'm doing what I'm supposed to, why are you trying to make excuses for drivers not to?

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 09:35 ----------

No cyclist would ever voluntarily try to pass a left turning vehicle.

The problem is vehicles that turn left with no signal and without checking their mirror. Cyclists, as clever as they are, still can't read minds.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 09:37 ----------

No, it clearly isn't. It's you dead, but it's entirely their fault for not signaling and checking.

Which doesn't help you, if you're dead or injured, but it does mean that they should be sent to prison for 15 years, and perhaps then monkey and the like will start to indicate and check their mirrors for fear of the consequences to themselves, given that they don't care about the lives of other people.

I cant see me agreeing with all of that so im going to agree to disagree.

I do think car maintenance should be taken more seriously and enforced more vigorously and i do think people should be fined hard for not indicating if that action put someone at risk but saying all that more cyclists need to take responsibility for themselves and whilst im at it they need to use only approved road lighting at approved heights and approved angles. Winter is coming and one of the worst things about the dark mornings and evenings is the amount of cyclists with badly fitted and positioned super bright sometimes flashing lights that can bloody hurts the eyes they are so badly used.

It does trouble me, I see so many bad driving habits when it comes to cyclists/bikes. Whilst in Scotland this week (nearly my demise, which led to this thread) I observed a man who drove 40 on a perfectly good A-road on Skye (Past Broadford to Sligachan for those in the know) instead of the limit of 60, fine, it is a tourist destination and you get that. What wasn't fine was the cycling event leading up the hill on that very road and the elderly gentlemen didn't provide any room whilst overtaking. None. He just moved out to slightly be on the middle-line, constant speed of 40, regardless of opposing traffic or cyclists.

Why?

Also, the one thing that was mentioned and is so true: people turning left not checking their mirrors! My word, what is wrong with you!

That's not a problem as the road is nice and wide and straight for a quick overtake up or down from the waterfall.

What's bad is when you get some muppet who decides to move out and block you from overtaking because if he's doing 40 why shouldn't you.... He got his commuppence though at Port Righ.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 15:16 ----------

Pherhaps the cyclists/motorcyclist family should be billed for doing something inherently stupid like passing on the inside.

By the way there are only two reasons for passing safely on the inside and in neither cases would the vehicle be turning left.

Why is it inherently stupid?

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 15:18 ----------

You should, but they shouldn't. Only a moron would pass on the inside.

Left filter lanes, traffic moving in queues etc etc.... happens all the time.

Oh but when it's a motorbike suddenly it's their fault?

You ever heard of the Self preservation society?

Is this your last desperate attempt to weasel out of the responsibility to check your mirror before turning left?

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 15:42 ----------

I cant see me agreeing with all of that so im going to agree to disagree.

I do think car maintenance should be taken more seriously and enforced more vigorously and i do think people should be fined hard for not indicating if that action put someone at risk but saying all that more cyclists need to take responsibility for themselves and whilst im at it they need to use only approved road lighting at approved heights and approved angles. Winter is coming and one of the worst things about the dark mornings and evenings is the amount of cyclists with badly fitted and positioned super bright sometimes flashing lights that can bloody hurts the eyes they are so badly used.

You're saying cyclists need to "take more responsibility" as if filtering on the left is wrong.

It isn't. The highway code says to do it. It tells drivers to expect it. Why is the cyclist's fault when drivers drive badly?

They do need to use approved lighting. That for cyclists includes handlebar mounted and head mounted.

Super bright flashing lights are good. It means that car drivers like monkey can't claim to have no seen the bike.

I've actually had people make eye contact with me and then turn into my path... So a super bright light won't stop them, but it might make them at least engage their brain.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 15:52 ----------

Why is it inherently stupid?

Because he doesn't want to have to look in his mirrors, and he gets angry that bikes and motorcycles make better progress than he does.

At a guess.

Didn't he say earlier that he think people should run into them deliberately? I think that says everything we need to know about him.

Edited by Cyclone

Very simple really, how often do you check your rear view/wing mirrors when driving?
After driving the Mrs' Mini soft-top this weekend, I'll have to be the facetious devil's advocate in this thread, and say 'just about none' (...in that car) :hihi:

That is because:

• with the roof up, the rear window looks smaller than a keyhole when using the rear view mirror (it literally gives that impression of peeking through a keyhole);
  • with the roof down, the folded roof completely obstructs any rear view vision through the rear view mirror; and
  • the driving position is so rubbish and the wing mirrors so small that I have to physically contort for a glance on either side.

Terrible, terrible car design :( ...so my practical solution is to get in front of everything else and stay there :D

Then again, my first 'car' was a Citroën C35 (lwb) and there was no rear view to be had whatsoever (no rear windows), so driving without a rear view mirror is no bother to me. So long as there's usable wing mirrors, of course. It also had a 0-50(ish) time measured in aeons, the handling dynamics of a baby whale, no power steering and the brakes of a standard Pug 504, which taught one young driver rather a lot about anticipation and momentum preservation...and the ultra-high-frequency mirror-checking that goes hand in hand with it all :D

Edited by L00b

Is this your last desperate attempt to weasel out of the responsibility to check your mirror before turning left?

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 15:42 ----------

You're saying cyclists need to "take more responsibility" as if filtering on the left is wrong.

It isn't. The highway code says to do it. It tells drivers to expect it. Why is the cyclist's fault when drivers drive badly?

They do need to use approved lighting. That for cyclists includes handlebar mounted and head mounted.

Super bright flashing lights are good. It means that car drivers like monkey can't claim to have no seen the bike.

I've actually had people make eye contact with me and then turn into my path... So a super bright light won't stop them, but it might make them at least engage their brain.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 15:52 ----------

Because he doesn't want to have to look in his mirrors, and he gets angry that bikes and motorcycles make better progress than he does.

At a guess.

Didnt he say earlier that he think people should run into them deliberately? I think that says everything we need to know about him.

You may need to revisit that and see who did make the comment.

Never had an accident and never had a run in with a cyclist. As for making progress I motorcycle ( shoulder checks on every manoeuvre. You see, self preservation.)on the days I can't run in to work.

You know you really ought to take care and stop putting yourselves at risk by undertaking.

Yes cyclone it is lawful for a cyclist to pass on the inside but if you were told it was lawful to cycle off a cliff would you?

Edited by monkey104

After driving the Mrs' Mini soft-top this weekend, I'll have to be the facetious devil's advocate in this thread, and say 'just about none' (...in that car) :hihi:

For a job I did I was lumbered with an old Caddy (or whatever the Golf-based van of the time was). No rear-view mirror as the back was closed, a broken nearside mirror and no far-side mirror (or the other way around) as that had been taken off by the previous incumbent. I agree with your strategy: Stay ahead of em all ;)

I did insist on being allowed to get a friend to fit new mirrors though, at their expense, which they agreed to, otherwise a three week job would have been a one-dayer.

So you're advocating that they don't do what they are legally allowed to do, in case a driver of a car doesn't do what they are legally supposed to do.

You're blaming the victim.

Instead of telling cyclists to be more careful, you should be telling drivers to be more careful.

(And most cyclists are well aware of how vulnerable they are, so short of leaving the bike at home they can't be any more careful).

---------- Post added 29-09-2015 at 09:20 ----------

You may need to revisit that and see who did make the comment.

Never had an accident and never had a run in with a cyclist. As for making progress I motorcycle ( shoulder checks on every manoeuvre. You see, self preservation.)on the days I can't run in to work.

You know you really ought to take care and stop putting yourselves at risk by undertaking.

Yes cyclone it is lawful for a cyclist to pass on the inside but if you were told it was lawful to cycle off a cliff would you?

You motorcycle? Do you filter? Between lanes of traffic, on the left, on the right? Because in all of those situations you are at risk in the same way. A car driver maneuvering without checking their lane can hit you.

If cyclists never passed vehicles on the left, they'd either be left dangerously exposed whilst filtering on the right when traffic started to move. Or they'd have to sit in a queue of cars for absolutely no reason.

I routinely filter past queues of stationary vehicles on the left. Where this approaches a left junction I look for a left signal and vehicle positioning, and when I stop I make sure to pull forward in front of a car, not stop at the side of it.

The only time I've had a problem has been with vehicles overtaking me and then immediately turning left. These people should simply be given a driving ban, 6 months should give them time to learn to drive correctly.

---------- Post added 29-09-2015 at 09:23 ----------

This is what started our little disagreement

Turning left at all should involve a mirror and shoulder check. Cyclists and motorcyclists die when people don't bother.

Or you could say motorcyclist and cyclists die when attempting to pass on the inside!

You're blaming the victims for something that is not their fault, and your attitude supports the bad car drivers who don't/won't check their mirrors as they should.

I'm not trying to make you filter, but given that it's legal and should be safe if drivers behaved as they should, I don't know why you want to blame the person who's within the laws of the road and absolve the one who's driving badly.

So you're advocating that they don't do what they are legally allowed to do, in case a driver of a car doesn't do what they are legally supposed to do.

You're blaming the victim.-snipped-

This is why you have little credibility. You make things up, you lie, you try to stir trouble. Now the more naive forum members would probably fall for it hook line and sinker but not me fella. I just sit back and laugh :D