www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

Right got it sorted. You have to use a different browser. I use Google Chrome as a rule but just had a go on Internet Explorer and I'm in. I haven't a clue why this should be the case but at least we can access the site now and perhaps things will change sometime in the future.

Grannypat

I used Google Chrome to access Sheffield History

I submitted a question on Tuesday about 9am received a reply a couple

of hours later. Giving link to a site that answered my question.

Google chrome works for me.

Edited by bazjea

I have just logged on to Sheffield History site via Internet Explorer (still can't do it using Google Chrome). The only problem I have now is that I can't post anything. I tried posting on an existing topic and also putting on a new topic. It just won't let me do it somehow. I can read messages and get around the site but that's all. Grrrrrrr!

Grannypat

I've just done that and I still can't get on to SH. I logged off and then back on but it still hasn't worked. Any other ideas that I can try? I have sent Sheffield History an email via an old email they sent me in my deleted box, to tell them what has happened. Haven't heard back yet but it's early days I suppose and I can't expect instant action just for little ol' me. It's so frustrating though, isn't it?

Grannypat

Hi grannypat; In view of the number of hits this thread receives (folks are interested) I too re-sent an e-mail on the 14th November only to have it returned with the same '451 Temporary problem .....etc.' message, but wondered how you fared?

My contact with the site has always been via Google Chrome and, as a test only, by Firefox which worked for me. I'm an outright amateur as far as computers are concerned but fortunately have family back-up to help me.

Posts #51&52 have tried to elicit an overdue response to the on-going difficulties without success so we must assume there is no likelihood of ever receiving one:sad:

Hi Voldy,

Yes, my emails came back too - a few days after they were initially sent though. I am at a complete loss. I was wondering Bazjea if you could share the link that was sent to you so that we could all find out how to access the site. Unless the question you asked was not regarding this? Could I please ask anyone who is still able to access the http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk site if they could contact the administrators of the site and ask them if anything is being done about this problem or if they can suggest anything to those of us who want to have access but are unable to. Perhaps one of them could post something here to try to explain things to us?

Grannypat

Hi Voldy,

Yes, my emails came back too - a few days after they were initially sent though. I am at a complete loss. I was wondering Bazjea if you could share the link that was sent to you so that we could all find out how to access the site. Unless the question you asked was not regarding this? Could I please ask anyone who is still able to access the http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk site if they could contact the administrators of the site and ask them if anything is being done about this problem or if they can suggest anything to those of us who want to have access but are unable to. Perhaps one of them could post something here to try to explain things to us?

Grannypat

Below is a copy of the question I posted ref hermits cave on wadsley common and the reply I received along with the link "( Cave House) "

"Home SHEFFIELD HISTORY SHEFFIELD HISTORY CHAT wadsley-loxley Common

Follow this 0

wadsley-loxley Common

Started by baz, 10 November

Rate this topic:

Reply to this topic

Start new topic

2 posts in this topic

baz

Sheffield History New

Sheffield History Member

1 post

Posted 10 November · Report post

Any one remember the little cave on the Common.We used know it as The Hermit Cave. Always wondered if

there was in truth in this. I seem to remember it was below the crags towards the road.

Quote Edit

RichardB

Sheffield History Pro

Sheffield History Team

25,078 posts

Location:Upperthorpe, Walkley, Hillsborough, Walkley, the North East since 1981.

Interests:Making this place the best of its kind. Free, polite, helpful.

Your input requested via comments, questions, photos, memories etc.

Posted 10 November · Report post

Cave House

Attempt at a link to previous on the topic.

Reply to this topic...

GO TO TOPIC LISTING

SHEFFIELD HISTORY CHAT

NEXT UNREAD TOPIC

A Mystery: Ellis Family / Mosborough Hill House Research

Home SHEFFIELD HISTORY SHEFFIELD HISTORY CHAT wadsley-loxley Common

Contact Us"

Below is a part copy of the page that the link came up to give answers to

my question,

Cave House Loxley Common

Started by Orreet, 7 Dec 2009

Rate this topic:

Reply to this topic

Start new topic

8 posts in this topic

Orreet

Sheffield Historian

Sheffield History Member

15 posts

Posted 7 Dec 2009 (edited) · Report post

Ive always loved wandering about on the Common, over the humps and bumps of the ganister mine remains and in and out of the quarries.

But the one thing that has fascinated me ever since I saw its picture on Picture Sheffield was Cave House, and today I think I found it.

The house was built by Thomas Halliday in around 1740 and blown up in the 1920's. It was built into the rock face, water was drawn from a nearby well and there was a small enclosed garden.

What is left today is a small walled enclosure, with a small stone built hut in one corner, this is ontop of the crags. A short distance below is the house site, this is nestled in between rocks. On the rock walls you can see holes carved into them to support timbers, one area has been chiseled flat and a possible fire place. The area is strewn with dressed stone and the footings of the out building survive. Nearby is a short tunnel covered by big blocks of stone, could this be the well.

Cave House as it was (Picture Sheffield).

The site today.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2684/416617..._54cda90b0b.jpg

Is this the front door step?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/416616..._570a2c21f5.jpg

Dressed stone.

Must be the only forum known to man, that does not have numbers attached to the posts :confused:

---------- Post added 20-11-2015 at 22:59 ----------

Posted on sheffieldhistory.co.uk. 20/11/15 @ 2200 hrs.

Do we have a site owner who can answer questions, or are we running on thin air?
Edited by me-and-pippo

In post #43 grannypat did get a reply from a member of the Admin Team but it seems they too have difficulties themselves.

As bazjea,who has been a member of SH for several years,has shown it is no problem for him to post.He submitted a new post to which a member of Admin helpfully referred him to an existing thread on his topic. It wouldn't help grannypat as she has encountered a new problem of not being able to maintain contact with the site on a regular basis even though she also is a member.

Now that we have a further post from Admin on their SH thread we are better informed. Will the last one out switch off the server?!

Hi Voldy,

I just feel I need to explain my current situation with regard to http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk. I cannot access the site at all via my usual browser Google chrome. However, if I use Internet Explorer I CAN access the site but I CANNOT participate in any way. I CAN'T reply to an existing post, start a new thread or even send a message to a member or site administrator. In other words it's a total waste of time going on to it which is very frustrating as I have existing threads which I need to be able to participate in questions and answers to. :( Surely there's someone out there who can HELP??????????

Grannypat

Hi Voldy,

I just feel I need to explain my current situation with regard to http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk. I cannot access the site at all via my usual browser Google chrome. However, if I use Internet Explorer I CAN access the site but I CANNOT participate in any way. I CAN'T reply to an existing post, start a new thread or even send a message to a member or site administrator. In other words it's a total waste of time going on to it which is very frustrating as I have existing threads which I need to be able to participate in questions and answers to. :( Surely there's someone out there who can HELP??????????

Grannypat

Hi grannypat,

You will need someone with far more experience than me but I understand your frustration,it is the same for many trying to join in.

Have you tried entering 'Google Chrome Help Forum' to check that it is up to date? There are tips to follow to make sure that it is free of problems; alternatively send them a message using your above quote.

Hope you get further assistance from 'forumers' to get your working connection restored to the threads.

Voldy.

I can truly understand your frustration Grannypat. Not sure if this has already been suggested but could Radio Sheffield help. An appeal on local radio may reach out to more people than SF. It's something I am sure Rony in particular would be interested in.

I don't think it's breaking any BBC codes of conduct.