Dog hit and run darnall 19/09/15

ross2010

I was unfortunate enough, a few years back, to collide with a dog whilst driving down a dark country lane. The dog limped off into a nearby field whilst I was on the phone to the police. They just advised me to report the collision at my local police station within 24 hours, which I did.

I tried looking for the dog, with the help of a local farmer, who had appeared after hearing the collision. It was pitch black and we had no chance of finding it. To this day, I often wonder what happened to the dog. Apart from the dreadful feeling of guilt, I was lumbered with a £1200 repair bill for the car, all because of an irresponsible owner.

From the Government website in case anyone is interested -

Report a car accident with an animal

You must stop and report the accident to the police if you hit any:

dogs

horses

cattle, eg cows

pigs

goats

sheep

donkeys and mules

You must do this as quickly as you can, whether the animal is killed or not.

Calm down folks. It was a dog. Not a person. Instead of blaming the driver what about the dogs owner?.

What about the dogs owner?

Even the most responsible dog owners may have a dog escape through no fault of their own.

It happens!

The driver is clearly in the wrong for not stopping at the scene.

Whether they later reported it to the police is unclear from this thread.

What a lot of heartless people on this forum to just hit an animal and drive away is just a disgraceful thing to do, you could be leaving it in agony laying there. Makes me so sad that humans think that nothing is important except them pathetic. I hope that none of you are hit and left laying in the road.

What a lot of heartless people on this forum to just hit an animal and drive away is just a disgraceful thing to do, you could be leaving it in agony laying there. Makes me so sad that humans think that nothing is important except them pathetic. I hope that none of you are hit and left laying in the road.

Completely agree. Some proper morons on here, as you say think humans are superior..look at the mess humans have made of the world..yeah superior beings..

---------- Post added 23-09-2015 at 23:03 ----------

What a heartless and scummy thing to say...

How is it heartless? Whoever did this deserves something similar to happen to them..they are the scummy ones,not the poster of this message

What about the dogs owner?

Even the most responsible dog owners may have a dog escape through no fault of their own.

It happens!

The driver is clearly in the wrong for not stopping at the scene.

Whether they later reported it to the police is unclear from this thread.

I agree that Dogs escaping from responsible owners does happen. For arguments sake let's say that this wasn't one of those instances and that it was one of the owners who doesn't look after their dog properly. What ever happened to dog licences?. Compulsory chipping of all dogs would be a good idea.