That chip shop cooking oil

I was watching a programme called shipping wars were truckers bid to take items across the. USA, and to save on fuel costs they would stop at hotels, diners, restaurants on the way and look in used oil bins, or ask the owners for used oil. This was ok as the owners of the oil didn't have to pay for it to be taken away and the trucker would sphenoid it into their truck or pick up and fuel costs for the job would be zero. Over here the government would want to charge you tax, vat, and not thank you for getting rid of a waste product think again Osborne and let truckers and van drivers use it for Nowthe Steve x

On a technical point, I always understood that an engine had to have a little bit of a conversion to be able to run on cooking oil (unless it’s a multi-fuel tank). Maybe these guys have had their engines converted and cannot use the diesel now.

Over here the government would want to charge you tax, vat, and not thank you for getting rid of a waste product think again Osborne and let truckers and van drivers use it for Nowthe Steve x

Would that just the case if the oil was being sold, surely there is nothing to stop anyone putting veg oil in their car?

It's been zero duty for a long time on home use biodiesel I think you will find.... if you make less than 2500 litres a year it's duty free... perhaps cookingfat could check up and stop using this to whine about the Govt.

Of course the usual mob will be along to accuse them of improper tax avoiding measures or summat anyway I guess....

My car uses a standard, pre-2002 VW 1.9 td diesel engine and in warmer weather I can use (legally) up to 75% cooking oil (new) although less in winter or it would be harder to start.

More recent engines have much higher injection pressures and I believe that straight veg oils would cause damage. Not sure about lorry engines though.

Even so using waste oil out of bins is pretty stupid, it needs to be processed first or you run a high risk of wrecking the engine.

At the very least the fuel filter will get clogged up with all the tiny pieces of leftover food and stuff floating around in the oil.

of course it could just be 'made for TV' and just skipped over that part.