Advice needed -cocktail stick in ignition barrel

that doesn't get it out though just leaves you with a dead woodworm in your lock

Yeah, but the poison tipped cocktail stick'll crush it to a manageable pulp … especially if you hammer the stick in with a mallet (don't even start on vampire woodworm, that's not what I mean).

tiny dot of super glue on another cocktail stick. hold it on it for a few seconds and then pull out.

Then you'll have two cocktail sticks in.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 18:24 ----------

but then how do you get the woodworm out?

Send a sparrow down after it.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 18:27 ----------

Then you'll have two cocktail sticks in.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 18:24 ----------

Send a sparrow down after it.

Then a cat.

There's a hole in my bucket dear.......................

Come on, I have all evening. How in the hell did you get a cocktail stick stuck in the ignition.

Truth now!

ok ok! i'll come clean.

for weeks now my motor has randomly refused to start- not even a click from the starter, but after a few attempts it has started as if nothing has happened.

however the other night after 30 attempts and a bump to the bottom of the car park, it was time to get out the RAC who sent one of their "partners". after 30 mins hammering my fairly new starter he noticed that the immobiliser had operated and towed me home. he also said that the key I had been using for 10 years was the emergency one, only intended to be used two or three times.

the following day I sprayed switch cleaner into the ignition barrel and got the straw stuck. I poked in a cocktail stick, after eating the cheese, pineapple and pickled onion of course! thus releasing the straw but trapping the stick snapping a small piece off the end. attempts to retrieve this only succeeded in pushing it further into the barrel. I have now succeeded in pushing this to a position where I can start the engine and drive. however, the intermittent immobiliser problem remains.

any ideas what is happening?

ok ok! i'll come clean.

for weeks now my motor has randomly refused to start- not even a click from the starter, but after a few attempts it has started as if nothing has happened.

however the other night after 30 attempts and a bump to the bottom of the car park, it was time to get out the RAC who sent one of their "partners". after 30 mins hammering my fairly new starter he noticed that the immobiliser had operated and towed me home. he also said that the key I had been using for 10 years was the emergency one, only intended to be used two or three times.

the following day I sprayed switch cleaner into the ignition barrel and got the straw stuck. I poked in a cocktail stick, after eating the cheese, pineapple and pickled onion of course! thus releasing the straw but trapping the stick snapping a small piece off the end. attempts to retrieve this only succeeded in pushing it further into the barrel. I have now succeeded in pushing this to a position where I can start the engine and drive. however, the intermittent immobiliser problem remains.

any ideas what is happening?

For a start, the breakdown guy was talking nonsense about the "emergency key" only intended to be used a few times.

Unless there have been some stupid lately in the motor industry, there is no such thing as an emergency key.

Are you still using the same key now or another one?

(Also, make, age and model?)

Edited by RootsBooster

same key. I cant remember if I had another key which I am told may have a blue bit on it instead of red. if I had one, it will have been put somewhere so safe 10 years ago that even I nor my wife can find it!

It could be one of several things;

-key

-transponder aerial

-ECU

-other

Occasionally, intermittent faults like this can be cured by a resync of the car and car but without knowing anyone with the correct equipment, it might turn out an expensive "try".

I've known more aerials to be faulty than keys but I have also known some keys (the transponder chips) to apparently self-wipe before.

You could try getting a key copied from the existing key (aftermarket locksmiths charge around £40 I think). If it has copied correctly it should work, if it works at least once, you know that the new key is okay. If the intermittent fault continues you have eliminated the key as the cause.

Edited by RootsBooster