Advice needed -cocktail stick in ignition barrel

Then it's a workable key and it's used for coding new keys to the system if it's the same as my old Mondeo. You had to turn the ignition on and off four times in six seconds with it and there was a bong then you started it with the new key to code the new key. Or something similar. It's in the manual.

Could be a dicky chip in the key - could be a dicky pickup in the lock. For waht those keys cost I'd code up a new key to see if that solves it, if it doesnt then it's a decent autoelectrician you need I suspect.

Then it's a workable key and it's used for coding new keys to the system if it's the same as my old Mondeo. You had to turn the ignition on and off four times in six seconds with it and there was a bong then you started it with the new key to code the new key. Or something similar. It's in the manual.

Could be a dicky chip in the key - could be a dicky pickup in the lock. For waht those keys cost I'd code up a new key to see if that solves it, if it doesnt then it's a decent autoelectrician you need I suspect.

started up several times ok over last 4 days since being towed. went out somewhere last night. end of night no start after about 20 attempts over 90 mins or so. RAC partner arrives - same guy as sat night -starts first time for him! so I am no wiser. I have googled the fault now and it suggests a few ideas which I will try. I will check out a new key with main dealer. recommendations on a decent autoelectrician needed in the meantime please then?

started up several times ok over last 4 days since being towed. went out somewhere last night. end of night no start after about 20 attempts over 90 mins or so. RAC partner arrives - same guy as sat night -starts first time for him! so I am no wiser. I have googled the fault now and it suggests a few ideas which I will try. I will check out a new key with main dealer. recommendations on a decent autoelectrician needed in the meantime please then?

I would get a key from a key cutting shop, it will cheaper and quicker.

I'd completely forgotten that (depending on the age and how many keys have previously been programmed) you can code these yourself without extra equipment, which is the whole point of the master key (thanks to Obelix).

Have a google, there's plenty of articles and how to's

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/12743-programming-car-key-using-red-master-key/

started up several times today no probs. so, a bit of maintenance in order. I removed the plastic cowling. wiped clean the dirt from the keyhole. scraped the dirt from under the metal collar on the barrel then "flossed" underneath this loose collar with the edge of a slightly damp cloth. I removed the plastic collar from around the barrel, this has a flat section with an electrical connector plugged into it. I gave this a good clean especially inside the collar, with the damp cloth. by holding this part next to the key I was able to start up. I reassembled everything after spraying the keyhole (whilst held open) and under the metal barrel collar. start up ok. I the disconnected the battery for a minute or so, reconnected, then switched on ignition 4 times in six seconds, as a post suggests. did not hear a thump as suggested I would. still starting ok. will carry a screwdriver in case the key fob is losing its ability to "talk" to the bits it needs to.

cant see anyway of opening the key fob to change the battery as someone suggested. if there was one in the fob, it must be more than 10 years old without a change.

someone suggested damp in the immobiliser. I have noticed that the two nights in question have been rather dewey. ahem! if I knew where the immobiliser was........

---------- Post added 24-09-2015 at 15:46 ----------

just spoke to ford. £49 for a diagnostic + repair costs. they say to produce a new key I need two keys making (£39+ each) as I only have one existing key, then coding at £100 and vat.

there must be a much cheaper way than this for such an old vehicle? ideas please.

Edited by muckymurphy

Wood beetle. A hungry one.

Ok. A better idea. Lock yourself in the car with Dracula and wait till darkness. As he starts to stir and wants to drink your blood your only hope of surviving is a stake through the heart ................... you'll get hold of the cocktail stick somehow.

Oh, if you tried the wood beetles .... you can get them out with juicy stake ...... mahogany or a bit of red oak, Burmese teak, walnut and freshly cut ebony.

Edited by Owethemnowt