Commuting between Manchester and Sheffield at night.

jaylou

Hello,

I'm about to start University in Sheffield but I'll need to be commuting to Manchester. Unfortunately due to work this will mean me travelling at night. I've drove to Sheffield a few times via Snake Pass and Woodhead, but I think these are mostly unlit roads and I'll be too scared to drive them in the dark.

Long story short is there a safe (lit) way to get to Sheffield from Manchester at night? I don't mind if it takes longer. I'm sorry if I sound really picky but I'm genuinely sick with worry thinking about this. :(

Thank you for any help..

Are all stretches illuminated?

i think most of it probably is, but if you lack the confidence to do the more direct routes at night then you dont have much of an alternative.

if the op does come across via the M62 then i'd consider going via huddersfield as long as they avoided rush hour. it has one of the worst signposted ring roads i've encountered. while much of the route from huddersfield to sheffield is unlit you dont have quite as many options of plummeting to your doom as the snake and woodhead offer!

though if the op is that scared then the train is probably the best and safest bet for her and other road users.

The obvious alternative would be to go via the M1 up towards Leeds then across to Manchester on the M62.

The even more obvious alternative would be to go in totally the opposite direction:

Sheffield, Doncaster, Grimsby, Groningen, Warsaw, Dnepropetrovsk, Stauropol, Baku, Golestdu, Nimruz, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Tiruchirappali, Cocos islands (ferry), Perth, Galapagos Islands, San Jose, Kingston (Jamaica), Guantanamo,(ferry) Cork, Dublin, Anglesey, then take the A515 and follow signs to Chester, then take the A56/M56 to Manchester.

Misses out the Snake Pass entirely. :thumbsup:

Sit in your car in the morning and study the controls.

You'll find a switch somewhere. It turns on them glass thingies at the front end of the car. They are called headlamps.

Look carefully for a stick thingy....it controls the direction the lamps shine...full ahead or dipped.

You'll be fine.

Whichever way you decide to commute, be it train, bus, or car, it's going to cost quite a bit per month.

Why not invest a small proportion of that money with a good sympathetic driving instructor to give you some "after dark" driving lessons on unlit roads.

Hopefully that will give you the confidence to drive over the Snake and enjoy it, just like the rest of us. (Watch the 50MPH speed limit though. :-) )

You'll be fine when you get used to it, but do research public transport as well for over the winter. Both Snake and Woodhead close due to snow from time to time; the ones who get caught out by the weather tend to be the over confident ones.

Hello,

I'm about to start University in Sheffield but I'll need to be commuting to Manchester. Unfortunately due to work this will mean me travelling at night. I've drove to Sheffield a few times via Snake Pass and Woodhead, but I think these are mostly unlit roads and I'll be too scared to drive them in the dark.

Long story short is there a safe (lit) way to get to Sheffield from Manchester at night? I don't mind if it takes longer. I'm sorry if I sound really picky but I'm genuinely sick with worry thinking about this. :(

Thank you for any help..

Full time student in Sheffield and working in Manchester every night?

You'll be dead from exhaustion inside 6 months.

And it'd need to be a well paid job to make the 100 mile, 2 hr min round trip worth it...