Commuting between Manchester and Sheffield at night.

jaylou

70 is still better than stop start up to 30 and back all the time. In town fuel efficiency is always lower than out of town.

That said, the A57 to Manchester is not in town, and the majority of the journey is not stop start (with the exception of Hollingsworth depending on time).

Hi, I don't think my original post was very clear but I'm only doing the journey twice a week: from Sheffield (S10 area) to Manchester (m23 area) on a friday night and back again on a Sunday night.

For the person who put that I shouldn't be driving if I don't like driving at night: learn to read. I put that I don't want to drive on snake pass at night, not avoid driving at night all together.

But thanks everyone for all the responses, it's given me loads to go on! Don't feel half as nervous any more. :) :)

Hi, I don't think my original post was very clear but I'm only doing the journey twice a week: from Sheffield (S10 area) to Manchester (m23 area) on a friday night and back again on a Sunday night.

For the person who put that I shouldn't be driving if I don't like driving at night: learn to read. I put that I don't want to drive on snake pass at night, not avoid driving at night all together.

But thanks everyone for all the responses, it's given me loads to go on! Don't feel half as nervous any more. :) :)

Are you a young professional ?

I think I'd rather take the snake pass. I don't drive much and I'm not as comfortable driving at motorway speeds, especially with less visibility. Maybe if I had more experience I would feel better about motorway driving. I don't like driving on the motorway at night, I always find myself trying to see further than I physically can (and my lenses prescription is fully up to date, unlike some peoples).

Unless you want to go miles out of your way on the M62 you're going to have to use a fair bit of unlit country road - personally from S10 I'd go A57 to Ladybower, then Bamford, Hope, Castleton, Winnats, Chapel en le Frith then A6 to Stockport to pick up the M60.

Not nearly as many sharp bends and ups and downs as the Snake.

Edited by Longcol

Unless you want to go miles out of your way on the M62 you're going to have to use a fair bit of unlit country road - personally from S10 I'd go A57 to Ladybower, then Bamford, Hope, Castleton, Winnats, Chapel en le Frith then A6 to Stockport to pick up the M60.

Not nearly as many sharp bends and ups and downs as the Snake.

Purely going by Google maps, between your route and the Snake, there's little in it distance wise, but via Castleton is about 15 minutes longer duration.

I'd concur with that roughly, as I travel from S10 to Disley at least once a week, and that takes a tiny shade under the hour on a Saturday afternoon.

There's less chance of getting stuck behind a wagon though if you go via Winnats, due to the weight restrictions, so it sometimes more or less balances out.

And yes Jaylou, it is a fairly stress free drive. It also might give you more confidence in your night driving abilities; unlike the Snake, a mobile does seem to work all of the route if that's what's bothering you.

(before some pea-brain jumps in, I'm not advocating using it whilst driving. :rolleyes: )

Google Link but I think it's a bit optimistic on the travel times earlier on in the day.