Commuting between Manchester and Sheffield at night.

jaylou

The train? How much is a season ticket?

I wouldn't much fancy driving between Manchester and Sheffield every night in the dark either.

It's about £3500/yr to Piccadilly, but then you have to get to/from the station either end. A daily commute costs about £2500-£3000 in a fairly efficient diesel car but will be more going over M62.

I love driving snake at night, as a alternative there is the A623 route which isn't lit but feels safer then the others.

I don't think there is a lot in it unless you hit a problem. My husband and I often used to travel to the Manchester area at the same time, same day for work. As it was for business meetings we used to travel separately in our own cars. He prefers cross country but I prefer easy (but longer distance) motorway route. This meant I could stop at services if delayed but also I was worried about lack of phone signal if I broke down cross country. Often we would arrive about the same time, we used to check via text messages. The motorway route has the disadvantage of having more accidents than the scenic route. I found it more relaxing and less stressful on the mootorway, unless I got stuck behind an accident.

It uses more fuel though right. Even though the duration is about the same, the distance is approx double.

I never monitored the fuel, it was a company car and we had different cars anyway. I wouldn't have thought it cost twice as much in fuel. Its fairly economical to sit doing 70 mph as opposed to all those stop start gear changes cross country.

I never monitored the fuel, it was a company car and we had different cars anyway. I wouldn't have thought it cost twice as much in fuel. Its fairly economical to sit doing 70 mph as opposed to all those stop start gear changes cross country.

Agreed, not double. But still more.

The even more obvious alternative would be to go in totally the opposite direction:

Sheffield, Doncaster, Grimsby, Groningen, Warsaw, Dnepropetrovsk, Stauropol, Baku, Golestdu, Nimruz, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Tiruchirappali, Cocos islands (ferry), Perth, Galapagos Islands, San Jose, Kingston (Jamaica), Guantanamo,(ferry) Cork, Dublin, Anglesey, then take the A515 and follow signs to Chester, then take the A56/M56 to Manchester.

Misses out the Snake Pass entirely. :thumbsup:

That reminds me of something from years ago : The Jamaican Tourist Board had sent out some enticing wall posters to hang in our travel agency. The main one was divided into 4 or 5 sections, depicting all the touristy things you'd expect - a beautiful sunrise at 6am, lunch at midday on a terrace overlooking the sea, sunbathing in the afternoon and then a slap-up evening meal with cocktails before some disco-type entertainment. The poster's text read something along the lines of 'a typical day in Montego Bay'.

Someone came in and asked the cost of the day trip to Jamaica......

That reminds me of something from years ago : The Jamaican Tourist Board had sent out some enticing wall posters to hang in our travel agency. The main one was divided into 4 or 5 sections, depicting all the touristy things you'd expect - a beautiful sunrise at 6am, lunch at midday on a terrace overlooking the sea, sunbathing in the afternoon and then a slap-up evening meal with cocktails before some disco-type entertainment. The poster's text read something along the lines of 'a typical day in Montego Bay'.

Someone came in and asked the cost of the day trip to Jamaica......

Is that going via Manchester, or my slightly longer (although geographically accurate) route? ;)