Commuting between Manchester and Sheffield at night.

jaylou

agree with practice improving confidence levels - when i first passed my driving test i hated going on snake pass - it was too windy and i thought 50mph speed limit was too high. I now dont mind driving on snake pass at all - i have learnt how to manage the road ( Ie at what point to slow down before a sharp bend , because i wasnt taught how to drive on very windy/tricky roads) . I would be fine driving through when dark .

I was travelling back home a month ago and was making my way to heysham ferry port. Sat nav took me through snake pass where i encountered some of the heaviest rain i have ever driven in.

It came down with such force my window wipers couldnt handle the rain :gag:. That was from when i got to lady bower through to Glossop. Everyone crawled along at 20mph (on both sides )

Haha, 50 too high. It was 60 for decades before this ridiculous new limit has been imposed for no reason.

This thread is a bit of an indictment of British driving instructors in my opinion. Unlit country roads are part of the road network and thus should be part of the instruction surely.

Snakepass is not a scary road to drive, at any time. It is a road that is challenging, yes, but if you are a reasonably skilled driver you can face the challenge and come out without any issues, no matter the circumstances.

The worst thing about the road is the poor drivers on it, people who slow down to a crawl for every bend (You can take almost all corners on Snake at 50 miles per hour if you know how to steer) People who don't allow overtaking (accelerating each time there is a straight, only to come to a near hold as soon as it gets winding again). And of course people who overestimate themselves and their vehicle, overtaking right in front of bends and summits, causing others to have to perform emergency manoeuvres.

I think the Snake is easier than Winnat's Pass. I'm a very confident experienced driver and I hate driving Winnat's, its a narrow windy road with drop offs at both sides, unlit and if it gets a bit foggy it's horrendous. Just my thoughts!!

No I meant Winnats, someone had suggested that Winnat's pass was an easier route and I was commenting on that

Winnats pass doesn't have drop offs at either side..?

Changing the subject slightly anyone able to give a rough guess of best time to set off to get to Man Airport by 9.30?

Route planner says just over an hour but I feel that is a bit ambitious for a Friday morning rush hour.

Anyone know rough timing and any best way?

Thanks

90mins will be fine if you go Winnats Pass/Whaley Bridge/Potts Shrigley.

https://goo.gl/D8hZ71