Osborne to cut all free school dinners

f they dont get proper meals and the basics

Perhaps things are different in this Space Year 2015 but when I was a child, we had things called "parents" who dealt with things like that.

I personally have never had a school meal in my life. And yet, here I am.

If children are not being fed, surely social services need to get involved?

Or perhaps people will finally concede what I've always said. That things really were better in the "good old days"?

Clearly both points of view can't be right.

What the hell are you on about? What makes you believe that higher rate tax payers pay for my daughter and what makes you think that we don't have a higher tax rate payer in my family?

I'm suggesting that it's correct that the benefit for universal free meals should be removed, it's a suggestion that means I'll be worse off in the future, but I believe that it's the correct decision. Just as the child benefit cuts had an effect on my income, I believe it was the right decision.

i believe ive made my point. Not getting into further squabbles.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 22:13 ----------

You're expecting me to pay for them and I haven't got any!

Were all in this together.

I'm not sure I'm pitting one set of kids against another set, so I don't know where you're going with that one.

It allows around £600 million to be ploughed back into education, to improve education for all. I don't know why it's such an issue it has always been this way until around a couple of years ago.

But the argument is that feeding kids improves educational outcomes. Could we buy those better outcomes by spending £600m on something else? I don't know the answer to be honest but it is possible we couldn't.

So before we cut lets properly review whether the meals are providing value for money?

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 22:33 ----------

Were all in this together.

Yes, it's the Pig Society

Personal responsibility has to come into things at some point. Don't have kids if you can't afford to feed them. And if you are just one mishap away from not being able to feed them, you really shouldn't be having kids yet.

Packed lunches are not as nutritious as cooked lunches, many parents are on low wages themselves so end up doing packed lunches for their kids therefore the kids are not getting a nutritious meal. Jamie Oliver touches on this point in this article= http://news.sky.com/story/1555724/free-school-meals-could-be-cut-by-government.

I would rather my taxes be used on school meals for children here than on foreign aid that ends up in a dictators personal bank account.

Personal responsibility has to come into things at some point. Don't have kids if you can't afford to feed them. And if you are just one mishap away from not being able to feed them, you really shouldn't be having kids yet.

The bit in bold probably applies to millions of outwardly middle class families too.

Packed lunches are not as nutritious as cooked lunches, many parents are on low wages themselves so end up doing packed lunches for their kids therefore the kids are not getting a nutritious meal. Jamie Oliver touches on this point in this article= http://news.sky.com/story/1555724/free-school-meals-could-be-cut-by-government.

I would rather my taxes be used on school meals for children here than on foreign aid that ends up in a dictators personal bank account.

I'd rather have lower taxes. And for what tax we do pay to be spent on useful things not spent on rewarding fecklessness.