Osborne to cut all free school dinners

its not divisive that poor receive free dinners. Its divisive that richer DONT get free dinners. If they are paying whats stopping richer parents demanding better meals, segregated canteens. A proper PRIVATELY paid for service.

Maybe the thing that stopping them is that they don't think like you?

Who said anything about housing benefit - not me.

Traditionally free school meals is seen as a benefit, it's only that very recently that universal free meals were introduced to infants only. For the rest of the pupil population at school it's treated as a means tested benefit, just like housing benefit.

So my point all along is that benefits should be targeted at those who need them the most, free school dinners should be not different.

What if someone on £50k has one income and 3 kids (5 dependants)?

that might be a higher tax earner and sounds decent but it doesn't go far when you think of all the costs, lack of benefit subsidy (paying out for poor people included).

Call me old fashioned but surely feeding your children should be the number one priority, so if someone isn't managing their money well enough to feed their children then you have to ask questions.

Maybe the thing that stopping them is that they don't think like you?

Traditionally free school meals is seen as a benefit, it's only that very recently that universal free meals were introduced to infants only. For the rest of the pupil population at school it's treated as a means tested benefit, just like housing benefit.

So my point all along is that benefits should be targeted at those who need them the most, free school dinners should be not different.

Call me old fashioned but surely feeding your children should be the number one priority, so if someone isn't managing their money well enough to feed their children then you have to ask questions.

so should need be assessed by someones ability to manage their budget. such as giving them an extra £20 a week if they need ciggies?

I'm still waiting for an answer on the london rochdale question that you side stepped and spouted rhetoric instead.

so should need be assessed by someones ability to manage their budget. such as giving them an extra £20 a week if they need ciggies?

I'm still waiting for an answer on the london rochdale question that you side stepped and spouted rhetoric instead.

he is never going to answer, quite happy letting other people pay his kids school meals

If there was no alternative, people would figure out a way to make it work. Families would pull together and support each other as they do in most countries and as they did in this country prior to the welfare state. As long as you set expectations low, people will live down to those expectations because it becomes acceptable, it becomes "the governments job" instead of the responsibility of people.

Like other benefits it should be based upon income.

---------- Post added 22-09-2015 at 20:33 ----------

he is never going to answer, quite happy letting other people pay his kids school meals

Don't be a fool, it's so unbecoming.

I've stated before that nobody pays a penny towards my kids lunches.

If you want to believe me that it's your business, surely you must have better things to do with your time than make snide comments, or maybe not?

---------- Post added 22-09-2015 at 20:36 ----------

but surely we couldn't deny someone the right to smoke 40 a day and expect the rest of us to feed his kids

I don't expect anyone to pay me a penny, so I'm sorry to disappoint you.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

Like other benefits it should be based upon income.

---------- Post added 22-09-2015 at 20:33 ----------

Don't be a fool, it's so unbecoming.

I've stated before that nobody pays a penny towards my kids lunches.

If you want to believe me that it's your business, surely you must have better things to do with your time than make snide comments, or maybe not?

---------- Post added 22-09-2015 at 20:36 ----------

I don't expect anyone to pay me a penny, so I'm sorry to disappoint you.

You still never approached the question...why should middle income families pay for poor kids yet take nothing out?

osbornes a tory what do you expect ? I blame thatcher she started it with taking their free milk. these set of parasites would stoop lower than a snakes belly in getting what they want. where will they stop they have already gone after kids/disabled/mentally ill/unemployed people :huh:

You still never approached the question...why should middle income families pay for poor kids yet take nothing out?

I did, I've stated many times that benefits should be about helping those that need the help. When middle income families "take money out" they're limiting the benefits that the needy can receive.