Osborne to cut all free school dinners

Because as adults we are expected and able to contribute to the system for it to work, kids are kids and cant contribute yet. If they dont get proper meals and the basics they may never be able to contribute to this system.

That takes us back to my original question though. Why does society have to pay for your child's needs?.

It is the Government role to make sure that children get fed properly. What is the best way to do this?

Give all parents ample benefits and stop them buying crisps and fat fried chips?

Since they have/are cutting benefits massively, and if the parents have the money, the kids are not always well fed.

Yes cut benefits, but give the kids free school meals.

What is being cut is universal free school meals, irrespective of the income of the parents, not free school meals for those who are on benefits.

That takes us back to my original question though. Why does society have to pay for your child's needs?.

I suspect that Gideon's own experience of school life is somewhat different from most of us, they even get free milk.

http://www.norlandplace.com/page/?title=Fees&pid=15

The meals look quite good, even if they have to be paid for.

http://www.norlandplace.com/attachments/download.asp?file=232&type=pdf

Because well educated children are a benefit to society, and having a decent meal once a day contributes to this end.

Is it easier to justify a subsidised bar for MPs at Westminster than to justify feeding children at school?

What is being cut is universal free school meals, irrespective of the income of the parents, not free school meals for those who are on benefits.

I do not see the logic in cutting the perks from the state, for the rich, they pays massively into the exchequer, they deserve all the states freebies.

This hasn't been announced yet. From what I can tell, this is a comment made my a Lib Dem MP. Nothing is official so until then its best to wait.

I do not see the logic in cutting the perks from the state, for the rich, they pays massively into the exchequer, they deserve all the states freebies.

I disagree profoundly with that comment, the government's help should be based upon need. Those that are capable should look after themselves.

I disagree profoundly with that comment, the government's help should be based upon need. Those that are capable should look after themselves.

And then u get the benefit cut off point, those who are poor, but not poor enough to get free school meals, just give them to all.

This hasn't been announced yet. From what I can tell, this is a comment made my a Lib Dem MP. Nothing is official so until then its best to wait.

True, we have to wait to see what the proposals are. Isn't it the Lib-Dems conference? So they may be floating this so that can trumpet some good that they feel that they did whilst they were in government.

It needs to noted that universal free school meals is said to have cost £600 million. I'd rather that those that can afford to feed their children do so, and that money was spent on education.

Because well educated children are a benefit to society, and having a decent meal once a day contributes to this end.

Is it easier to justify a subsidised bar for MPs at Westminster than to justify feeding children at school?

With a difference between £6m and £600m you'll need to find something more convincing than cutting MP's bar meals if you want to subsidise school meals for people who can afford to pay for them.

Did you realise that the idea is to keep free meals for families who can least afford them before you made your mind up?