Osborne to cut all free school dinners

not sure where youre going either. Should we pay for school meals?

If you're not sure where I am going, maybe you should re-read my posts on this thread. It's very clear where I stand, namely the government's help should be based upon need.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 16:19 ----------

Its an ever expanding bill for parents.

Welcome to reality.

Children are expensive, and you should budget accordingly. I've worked out that my daughter has cost me around £800 a month just on lost earnings and nursery fees alone. I plan my life accordingly, but I never forget that it's my responsibility to provide for my child.

No wonder teachers are leaving teaching in droves. who'd want to be involved in this mess.

What has this got to do with the teachers?

If you're not sure where I am going, maybe you should re-read my posts on this thread. It's very clear where I stand, namely the government's help should be based upon need.

cool. I believe it should be universal.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 16:40 ----------

Welcome to reality.

Children are expensive, and you should budget accordingly.

No sh@t. Doesnt make it right or just we should pay for schooling by default though does it?

or do you merely accept everything that happens in an external locus of control kind of way?

my view is if everyone held that attitude we really are in line for social problems.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 16:41 ----------

It's not working is it?

no, because we are going from a public to a privatisation model - which is defunct and cash hungry.

cool. I believe it should be universal.

So you believe that it's a good way for the education to spend £600 million, rather than educating children?

No sh@t. Doesnt make it right or just we should pay for schooling by default though does it?

or do you merely accept everything that happens in an external locus of control kind of way?

my view is if everyone held that attitude we really are in line for social problems.[

no, because we are going from a public to a privatisation model - which is defunct and cash hungry.

Doesn't parental responsibility mean anything? If you can can afford to pay for something you should, you shouldn't rely upon others. Why should a cleaner pay for the school lunch of a hospital consultant via their taxes? Wouldn't that tax money be better off being spent elsewhere?

So you believe that it's a good way for the education to spend £600 million, rather than educating children?

Doesn't parental responsibility mean anything? If you can can afford to pay for something you should, you shouldn't rely upon others. Why should a cleaner pay for the school lunch of a hospital consultant via their taxes? Wouldn't that tax money be better off being spent elsewhere?

And you don't think alot of societies problems stem from a lack of responsibility from society itself? If you can't/wont do something don't worry the state will do it for you.

I read a piece on the bbc website about three generations of women in rural China. We don't know how lucky we are.

And you don't think alot of societies problems stem from a lack of responsibility from society itself? If you can't/wont do something don't worry the state will do it for you.

I read a piece on the bbc website about three generations of women in rural China. We don't know how lucky we are.

I agree, everyone wants to know their rights, but very few people want to live up to their responsibilities.

is this about parental responsibility?

I thought it was about a sustainable education strategy.

In terms of paying fair amount:

In school dinners case, I believe it's right to have a universal policy because its so fundemental to child development. Nobody ever had to pay for dinners when I was a lad.

I also believe in universal benefits (which are then topped up). Everyone gets something.

I also believe in a free NHS (apart from idiots who abuse it who should be fined)

I don't like this positive discrimination type model of which you are describing, it creates a two tiered system...the haves and have nots

it creates problems, like should the rich kids have a better menu because the parents can afford to pay for it? what if icher parents start making demands?

although I hear what you are saying, in some cases YES richer should pay more - like in higher income taxation.

It would appear the rich and middle classes are being DOUBLE taxed if they then have to pay the brunt for comp schooling too.

Edited by TJC1

is this about parental responsibility?

I thought it was about a sustainable education strategy.

In terms of paying fair amount:

In school dinners case, I believe it's right to have a universal policy because its so fundemental to child development. Nobody ever had to pay for dinners when I was a lad.

I also believe in universal benefits (which are then topped up). Everyone gets something.

I also believe in a free NHS (apart from idiots who abuse it who should be fined)

I don't like this positive discrimination type model of which you are describing, it creates a two tiered system...

although in some cases YES richer should pay more - like in higher taxation.

It would appear the rich and middle classes are being DOUBLE taxed if they then have to pay the brunt for comp schooling too.

How old are you, because the free school meals for infants was brought in a couple of years ago?