Replacement for number plates

I just found out that if you replace a car's number plates using the same number, the new ones must come from a seller who records your name and address and looks at a piece of paper showing some sort of proof of your entitlement. This record should in theory be checked by the police from time to time. The plates must conform with the requirement to be reflective and of the right size and colours. I also found that you can buy plates from an Irish company without any need for proof of entitlement. I suppose in theory you could be pulled over for using unapproved plate suppliers? Does anyone have experience of this?

---------- Post added 22-09-2015 at 19:25 ----------

[/color]

No, but what is the problem?

I haven't been pulled over myself so far Yorkie. Just out of interest and having nothing interesting to do I made a replacement front plate from waterproof plywood, light grey paint and black paint and covered the plate with a sheet of acrylic. It looked a lot better than the old plate, where the plastic film containing the numbers had pulled away from the acrylic sheet and made the numbers less clear to read. It also made the front of the car look a bit tatty. But a friend told me that such home made plates are illegal. The only reason I can think of for this is that some people will use chalk etc for the numbers and scrawl them on making them difficult to decipher. Also some cars that are being hunted could change the number to avoid being stopped by the police, so long as they use a number issued to the same make and model car. Similar to the film The Day Of The Jackal. Nowadays the police check the number by radio and I suppose they would be told if the number on the fugitive's car was on the wrong make/model. The DVLA regulation for plate design is in V796, Display of Registration Marks For Vehicles. I still think my home made one is good enough.

Edited by woolyhead

A legal plate should display where they are from in very small letters, some people buy custom plates or show plates as they're sometimes called, I've found as long as your lettering is spaced correctly you won't get bothered by the boys in blue, however when you take your car for its MOT they may pick up on it and either ask if you have legal plates in the boot or insist you have them on the car for its MOT