What was the most boring job you've had & how did you cope?

When I was a pre nursing student I worked in the medical records dispatch department in the old Royal Hospital on West Street - now demolished. Medical notes would be delivered from other hospitals and would have to book them in by writing the name and hospital number on the notes in a book with the date and time. All medical notes being taken out of the hospital to other places had to be booked out in a similar way but in a different book.

It was very monotonous but I was only 16 and straight out of school - I quite enjoyed it really.

Nowadays all medical notes are scanned into the Pinpoint system as they are moved from A to B - it takes seconds and notes can be located online at the click of a button.

I also worked at the old Royal Infirmary in the theatre sterile supplies unit.

I spent much of my day washing used dental instruments from the dental hospital and packing 5 cotton wool balls or cotton dental rolls into small bags. As monotonous as it was I really felt I was doing a worthwhile job. Happy days !:(

Edited by Daven

Checkout work at a supermarket, dead boring.

You just end up making games:

How fast can you scan someones shopping

How slow can you scan someones shopping

How much can you scan without the belt moving

How close can you guess the final bill will be

How much can you jumble the shopping up if they've laid it out in a specific way on the belt.

Shelf Stacking at Gateway in Woodhouse. Saturday's were a lark with my mates also working, but the Thursday evening shift on my own dragged.

They had an awful looped tape of muzak with about six songs on, not even sung by the actual bands who made them famous. The worst song was "This One" by Macca, which was on the loop twice.

Does the fact that we are all on here during normal working hours not answer those questions? ;c)

I'm currently making up my own stories from the headline messages on the forum. One of which currently reads..

"Aren't you glad you live in a place where...

My daughter's school has banned crisps!"

Edited by DnAuK

Shelf Stacking at Gateway in Woodhouse. Saturday's were a lark with my mates also working, but the Thursday evening shift on my own dragged.

They had an awful looped tape of muzak with about six songs on, not even sung by the actual bands who made them famous. The worst song was "This One" by Macca, which was on the loop twice.

Omg, i started at the same shop as a saturday job fill in, it was Lennons's when i started but i was there when Gateway bought Mr Fox out, sometime around the mid 80's

Trying to look busy pushing a broom around for an 8 hour shift in a Ford assembly shop as the assembly line had need of fewer workers.

Almost beaten for interest by having to clean the grease off the bare metal car bodies with white spirit as they came from God knows where, going to God knows where.

Again for 8 hours.

One car body every 2 minutes.

Luckily I only did one side another lad did the other.

All this for £21 week.(in 1965)

The foreman had a moan as he said we weren't getting all the grease off:roll:

He was invited to try it himself, politely of course.

Edited by davyboy