What was the most boring job you've had & how did you cope?

When I was 16, I had a job at a local title company. In the US, title companies act as neutral third parties in real estate transactions as well as issuing policies of title insurance guaranteeing clear title on properties.

The real estate deeds were stored on microfilm, then put in tiny envelopes and numbers typed across the top.

A couple days after school and all day on Saturdays, myself and about 20 other girls were herded into an enormous room covered floor to ceiling with the biggest damn drawers you ever saw. It was our job to put all these itty bitty envelopes back into numerical order.

In the four months I worked there, no one ever made it to the top drawers near the ceiling.

It was mind-numbingly boring and we weren't allowed to make a peep or even listen to the radio, but at least we could talk among ourselves. I would have lost my mind if I'd had to stay in there alone.

I find myself unhappy doing repetitive work that requires no thought. I wouldn't like to think I had to do a job like this day in day out. However, from time to time, I believe, it is required to show grit and get these jobs done no matter what your chosen career path.

A week spent sticking address labels onto envelopes and nothing else. 8am to 5pm, not allowed to speak to anyone except at break & lunchtime. For the first time in my life I understood why people got absolutely paralytic at the weekend and smashed up bus shelters - I felt like doing it myself!

As an impecunious student I was a chicken sexer.

You get to look at chicks to see if they are boys or girls. Girls get to go down one chute to become egg layers.

Boys get to go down another chute and get ground up.

I lasted three days.

That is a day more than I did! Congrats! Did a similar job with piglets, even harsher as pigs are intelligent... Took me one night to give up, which was apparently longer than most.

I saw an ad that said welder wanted I can weld so I went to the interview and got the job...but when I started the job the guy took me to this bench gave me a box full of small steel strips and said you put these things in here push this arm over and put them in this other box,I said how many of these things have I got to do he said most can do a 1000 a day if you want to earn your bonus you will have to do that many....I said I thought you wanted a welder I'm not doing this crap job he said you have to be her for a long time before they let you do the welding job,I persevered with the job for the longest 2 hours of my life before I chucked the box on the floor and walked out,I don't know how anyone can do a mind numbing job like that...

piglets that lay eggs lol

No. Piglets that have deficiencies (ie. are too light to reach slaughter-weight within 4 months) are ground up. Not sure if it still happens though, it was absolutely barbaric and even the farmer himself did not approve of it, but it was the only way he could make at least some money on producing pork.

Photography processing lab in the city centre

Complete sht whole

I studied at college wanting to be the next David Bailey to end up in a freezing cold building which was a health and safety nightmare.

The dark rooms at college where brilliant and clean. The one I worked in had bare plaster on the walls and ceiling which crumbled everywhere. If you dropped a customers negative, it was guaranteed a goner, scratched to hell. The owners would not look for better premises. I spent 9 years there before I could get out. Then I worked in 2 call centres which match the earlier post's descriptions.