Red House, Solly Street

Andy C

...and in a slightly 'dodgy' area. So unless you live nearby it's got to be worth the effort for one reason or another. On my last visit it wasn't.

The area isn't so dodgy since all the student flats were built, the pub isn't a live music venue anymore just a nice relaxed place for a pint. Beer choice is limited but acceptable (the 3 real ales on at opening were Abbeydale Moonshine, Castle Rock Harvest Pale and York Guzzler), food is expected to start next week in the form of Italian deli style snacks and sandwiches.

Look out for the pub dog, Parker, a police puppy.

It can be difficult to find. It is about half way down Solly Street, the two easiest ways to access Solly Street are from West Bar, next to the Marco's restaurant (bottom of hotel that used to be police station) or from Broad Street near University roundabout (cut across little car park opp the old church that is now a University lecture theatre). Another option is to walk up Garden Street from next to Butlers Balti.

Google map: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Redhouse/@53.384248,-1.478648,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x48797880f63fcfe1:0xcb9f676cffb0590d

Edited by Andy C

• 4 weeks later...
The area isn't so dodgy since all the student flats were built, the pub isn't a live music venue anymore just a nice relaxed place for a pint. Beer choice is limited but acceptable (the 3 real ales on at opening were Abbeydale Moonshine, Castle Rock Harvest Pale and York Guzzler), food is expected to start next week in the form of Italian deli style snacks and sandwiches.

Look out for the pub dog, Parker, a police puppy.

It can be difficult to find. It is about half way down Solly Street, the two easiest ways to access Solly Street are from West Bar, next to the Marco's restaurant (bottom of hotel that used to be police station) or from Broad Street near University roundabout (cut across little car park opp the old church that is now a University lecture theatre). Another option is to walk up Garden Street from next to Butlers Balti.

Google map: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Redhouse/@53.384248,-1.478648,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x48797880f63fcfe1:0xcb9f676cffb0590d

That's a massive shame, I used to go there quite often.

I've had confirmation that the Red House closed down again after three weeks, Punch Taverns are now looking for someone else to take on the lease.

In a nutshell, the reason pubs are shutting. I bet Punch really, really want someone to make a success of it instead of being able to flog it to a property developer to build more student flats.

It could be very good and attract a combination of the students from up the hill and the Kelham Island beer lovers from down the hill.

Perhaps a juke box in the main room (not too loud of course), range of quality beers on both cask and keg, decent home cooked food of the simple and affordable variety and a good quiz night. The second room could host meetings, private functions and live accoustic music. I'm sure the balcony smoking area could prove popular too.

Of course it would need well advertising too with simple directions (such as go up the side of Butlers Balti!)