Red House, Solly Street

Andy C

It could be very good and attract a combination of the students from up the hill and the Kelham Island beer lovers from down the hill.

As its tucked way it needs a USP - a very good reason for people to go there - such as the last few years when it ran as a music venue. The bands/dance nights that went on brought their own crowd.

I'm not sure about going down the real ale route. Many years ago people would actively travel to go to the Fat Cat even though it was out of the way as hardly anywhere else sold real ale. Now pubs selling decent beer are common - there would have to be a *very* good reason for people to go somewhere as out of the way as the Red House

Red House used to be a great place to go and party till the early hours. Loud music, cheap beer and a relaxed drug policy meant that people travelled from all over the city to get there.

It won't survive as anything else as it is out of the way and most of the students living around there are international students, who drink less per capita than other students.

Oh nooo ! I did wonder ... I was in there a few weeks ago for first time on an evening and there was just me, the landlady and her dog, not even my dog to make up a nice foursome , how sad :-( It looks like its been all newly and expensively renovated too ! But it is true , lots of chinese students arround there , they would never go in , it needs some local UK custom !!

And maybe special nights ... quiz, karaoke, music etc