Pet hates .. but not hate pets ..

The word 'barista' ....... pet hate of mine.

This affected use of the Italian for bartender. It is affected because setting aside it being conceited, snobbish and pretentious, there's never a mention of baristas, the other ones - not lawyers, or barista.

Just this pseudo use of a foreign word to dress up the job of making coffee. Like making the tea. You know where you are and that's right at the bottom of the ladder along with the sweeper uppers.

My two pennorth.

The word 'barista' ....... pet hate of mine.

This affected use of the Italian for bartender. It is affected because setting aside it being conceited, snobbish and pretentious, there's never a mention of baristas, the other ones - not lawyers, or barista.

Just this pseudo use of a foreign word to dress up the job of making coffee. Like making the tea. You know where you are and that's right at the bottom of the ladder along with the sweeper uppers.

My two pennorth.

I've never liked that either! and I'm sure I never pronounce it right..

My pet hate is people who smoke first thing in the morning! I like to walk out of my house in the morning with the dogs and take the crisp fresh air into my lungs not some dirty fag smoke!

No one needs a fag at 6am in the morning!! and those that stand outside schools or next to bus stops and tram stops puffing away when everyone's on their way to work! STOP IT....

I'm a smoker by the way!! I just think morning fags should be banned :gag:

I really hate the dubious use of the word 'craft' when relating to beer these days. Especially when used gratuitously by the mass producers that are anything but (read Greene King's 'Crafted for the Moment' tag line).

But even this is better than the new trend of calling things 'Boutique'. Shops? Maybe. Hotels? No. Beer? Who do I punch?

I hate the fad for management speak - 'Webinar', 'go forward together', 'synergies', 'stakeholders', 'futureproof our organisation' 'modernise our pay structure' (e.g. pay cuts for those on the front line, and rises for senior management), 'holistic governance', 'core competencies', right sizing' (for firing people) and 'capturing our demographic'.

I work for a public sector organisation, and the layers and layers of managers that speak in this inane way is infuriating. Such management speak is usually mendacious, and it makes those who use this language sound like dicks.