Aggressive Teeth Brushing: How much is too much?

Most of this is a fair point. And for a while I thought I'd found a good solution by buying an ultrasonic tooth brush. Trouble is I've now tried a few, but very quickly the switch on all of them packs up ! So, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced brand of ultra sonic tooth brushm where the on/off switch is reliable? - TIA

Most of this is a fair point. And for a while I thought I'd found a good solution by buying an ultrasonic tooth brush. Trouble is I've now tried a few, but very quickly the switch on all of them packs up ! So, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced brand of ultra sonic tooth brushm where the on/off switch is reliable? - TIA

Er, that actually was a serious question ! Anybody care to name a brand of

ultrasonic toothbrush that is reliable, without being a silly price?

My dentist told me it's best to hold an electric toothbrush 'like a pen' and basically let the toothbrush do all the work.

I have noticed issues with sensitive teeth have reduced since doing that.

My teeth feel best when doing this, although my toothbrush may work at like something stupid at 10000 brushes minute I still feel the need to add my own motion of like 30 brushes per min and it doesn't feel as good after. Need to relax and just slowly drag it over the teeth.

Mine stops every 30secs where your supposed to swap over, idea is 30 secs bottom left, bottom right, top left, top right done no hard pressure the tomato thing is right.

Edited by muddywolf

Er, that actually was a serious question ! Anybody care to name a brand of

ultrasonic toothbrush that is reliable, without being a silly price?

I've been using Braun Oral-B toothbrushes for many years. I have noticed the power buttons on the single-speed toothbrushes do pack up after a couple of years, but the power buttons on the dual-speed brushes are far more reliable and don't fail due to overuse. In fact, the dual-speed brushes only fail when I repeatedly drop them onto a hard surface (clumy fool that I am)

Ze germanese engineering at its most reliable!

Pricewise, they're far too expensive at full-price for a tight-fisted Yorkshireman like myself, but they're regularly available at half-price on offer from various superstores or chemists (asda, superdrug, boots etc).

• 9 months later...

Just read this online, could it work?

"The White Light Smile Teeth Whitener illuminates a brilliant blue LED light as it gently warms up. It rapidly removes surface stains and also penetrates deep to lift out embedded stains. Your teeth will be white within a single use, and you can use it as often as needed to get the results you want!"

As has been said on here gum disease is the thing to really look out for as you get older.

I have had my share of problems over the last decade nut now,hopefully its under control.

A few things that work for me.

Cleaning in-between teeth is essential I find the small brushes you can buy to be best.

Mouthwash does help particularly when used last thing at night.

Use an electric tooth brush the braun ones are fine and you can get them pretty cheap when on offer these days (although I would avoid the non rechargeable ones) but don't brush too hard.Am not convinced you have to buy the expensive ones I had a fancy one with loads of attachments and it was no better.

Ensuring your mouth is not acidic is important,reduce fizzy drinks even the sugar free ones and don't brush teeth straight after.

Avoid mints and boiled sweets they stay in your mouth for too long causing decay.

A good hygienist makes a real difference don't skip this many private dentist have a separate one from the dentist and they can give you good advice on what to do.

Just read this online, could it work?

"The White Light Smile Teeth Whitener illuminates a brilliant blue LED light as it gently warms up. It rapidly removes surface stains and also penetrates deep to lift out embedded stains. Your teeth will be white within a single use, and you can use it as often as needed to get the results you want!"

Sounds like nonsense, blue LEDs have no magic powers to remove stains.

---------- Post added 10-07-2016 at 00:48 ----------

Q: what would happen to one's teeth if they were to remain unscaled/unpolished?

Build up of plaque which contributes to gum disease.