EE. A legal question ?

I wonder if anyone knows the legality, or not of what has happened to me with EE ?

It,s not much money I have lost in this case, five or ten pounds but for all they know it could have been a hundred pounds. When I was with Orange on pay as you go I built up points towards a new phone. I put £10 of credit on it which I used when it got took over by EE, and when it got to about £5 I decided I liked my old phone better so I used that instead.

I used it again last week after about 4 months and the card had been wiped clean. I went down to the EE shop where they told me that if you don't use the phone for three months they wipe the credit off. I had no contract and they never said anything to me about the 3 month cut off. Now to me that seems wrong, but, is it illegal.

I supposed it must be somewhere in terms and conditions. I can't really see a situation that they would not have covered but it does seem underhand to me.

Many thanks for the replies.

The same happened to me a few years ago. I bought a new phone and they gave me a sim card with £10 credit. After about a year I decided to use it but it had expired. I complained but there was nothing I could do.

Yes, but what I wondered about was what the old Orange terms and conditions said ?

If they had the same 3 months rule then in a way it wouldn't be so bad, but if EE took over and then altered things after you had put the credit on under another system then I wouldn't be sure if they could legally do that, though as I say I would be amazed if they have slipped up.

I was always under the impression with PAYG that there 'was' an expiry date where the credit had to be used within a certain period.

In the very early days of mobile phones you could top up and it would stay there forever, but they got wise to this and then required a topup after so long, or at least within a set period.

It's pretty standard practice these days...In fact I'd be really surprised at any phone tariff that had everlasting credit that's available now.

I was always under the impression with PAYG that there 'was' an expiry date where the credit had to be used within a certain period.

In the very early days of mobile phones you could top up and it would stay there forever, but they got wise to this and then required a topup after so long, or at least within a set period.

It's pretty standard practice these days...In fact I'd be really surprised at any phone tariff that had everlasting credit that's available now.

I am with 3 payg. my credit does not expire. have a look on the 3 site.