Brincliffe Tennis Club

Oldun

Am researching the former Brincliffe Tennis Club which was on the site of where the Baldwins Omega Restaurant is now. It closed down a long time ago (1962). I was a member of that club. However the club was also going before the war years in the 1930's and before that. What I am particularly seeking is any sort of information including photographs about that period of the tennis clubs existence ie. the 1930's and even before that,that may have been passed down from members of those days to sons or daughters or other relatives or anyone else.

Hello Ironmonger so pleased you have replied. Have to be quick have replied to you once at length then got cut off before message went through. I knew about your previous post re your mother playing at Brincliffe in 30's so am glad you have replied. I have written article on Brincliffe Tennis club but this mainly re after war club now need more info for article on before war club such as - more information of those times in the club - any photos - how many courts there were any others your mum knew in club just when did your mum play etc etc

regards

Oldun

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Brincliffe Tennis Club was founded around 1930..not sure when.

My Grandfather, John William Shaw, owned Brincliffe House. In the grounds he built a ballroom,( now the Omega Restaurant) and the tennis courts. This was a business venture. He also owned JW Shaw&Son Bakers and confectioners at Hunters Bar etc.

My father John William Shaw Jnr ran the Tennis Club and was it's first captain.

I think Brincliffe House is demolished and is now some NHS offices.

My Grandfather died around 1945/6 and I think the house was sold and his wife eventually lived on Brocco Bank and died some years later.

My father died in 1963.

Maybe my siblings can add more to this...I will ask and post another comment.

Hello Roger

I am very excited to get your post on Brincliffe Tennis Club. I am sending you a

longer PRIVATE MESSAGE if you can deal with that as I thought that to be the best way. If you have any difficulty getting to the private message then for the present just carry on with normal post. I am looking forward very much to hearing from you again

Regards

---------- Post added 16-10-2015 at 20:15 ----------

Hello Roger again

I have now sent you a private message in which I give my email address and Tel. No.

Regards

Eric