Why are life sentences all different

Because, when someone is found guilty of murder - the sentence is mandatory - life.

But the judge can see sometimes there may be mitigating factors to show a certain amount of leniency on the length of time actually served in prison.

Sometimes they are so horrific, he may suggest a whole life tariff or set a long period of time.

He wasn't found guilty of murder though he was plotting a massacre, if he is freed after the 8 years he will only be 27 plenty of time to plot and plan another massacre. Life sentences should be for life, other sentences should be given in x amount of years. Why bother saying a life sentence and then let them out after a few years.

Life should mean life. Put them in a cell, weld the door shut, chuck some sandwiches in there occasionally, hole in the floor for the toilet, and that's it until they die.

So? The same punishment for these two scenarios?:

1. Man goes into bank to rob it. "Everybody be cool, this is a robbery." One of the customers tries to stand in he his way, robber murders him and 4 other customers - pour encourager les autres.

2. You come home from work early to find Mrs Hazzard with her very well endowed and I mean enormous lover in flagrante delicto (I'd be a little more graphic usually, but am going to have a quiet weekend and I would prefer not to get a ban), you are a little angry to say the least and pick a golf club out of your set and in a fit of pique hit the lover on the head mortally wounding him.

Une crime passionelle would be looked on by the Judge as a slight mitigation and you would receive life for murder in the same way that the bank robber did. In my book the bank robber deserves to be in a hole of a prison for a long time, you however do not deserve the same treatment.

So? The same punishment for these two scenarios?:

1. Man goes into bank to rob it. "Everybody be cool, this is a robbery." One of the customers tries to stand in he his way, robber murders him and 4 other customers - pour encourager les autres.

2. You come home from work early to find Mrs Hazzard with her very well endowed and I mean enormous lover in flagrante delicto (I'd be a little more graphic usually, but am going to have a quiet weekend and I would prefer not to get a ban), you are a little angry to say the least and pick a golf club out of your set and in a fit of pique hit the lover on the head mortally wounding him.

Une crime passionelle would be looked on by the Judge as a slight mitigation and you would receive life for murder in the same way that the bank robber did. In my book the bank robber deserves to be in a hole of a prison for a long time, you however do not deserve the same treatment.

I'm not sure which shows more how little you know Happ Hazzard, the fact that you think he has the ability to apply nuance, or the fact that you think he is married :hihi:

Other than that, this is exactly it.

A Life sentence is a punishment that lasts for the rest of an individual's natural life. It does not always mean that that whole sentence should be served in a prison.

That would be an expensive waste of money in many cases as the individual would not need to be kept away from people for the safety of themselves or others.

Just living under a curfew or restrictions may be enough punishment for a person who is genuinely safe to be circulating outside.